N16 Reliability

Ok, The N16 is a pretty reliable old bus really I suppose, but i was wondering whats all gone wring with yours to see if there are any problems arising that are a bit more common than we thought.

I guess there are the dreaded rear brake calipers, as any of you with rear disks will know exactly what i mean.

other things that have gone wrong with mine -

1. Central locking failure - water in door barrel swtich
2. Air Flow meter

i have had the aircon charged too, but thats normal i guess on a 7 year old car. so not counting wear and tear - brakes, exhausts, etc whats broken on yours whilst youve owned it?

such a ahappy post i know, but just curious :D

Stu

Driver side outer CV Joint.
Exhaust on the flexi hockey stick.

Rear calipers not gone yet. Gearbox not gone yet. Clutch not gone yer but I think it's pretty close as it's been adjusted twice in six months and the bite is still practically at my knee.

The most major problem i have had with mine is the grearbox going tits up and having to get one of the front calipers changed and thats about it I think. Still haven't got a replacement box for mine :(

Baz

yeah ive heard about box probs, we have only ever done one at my work, so i didnt think it was that common, bt on here it seems to be, are there any early symtoms of the box, or does it just fcuk up? lol

baz666 said:
The most major problem i have had with mine is the grearbox going tits up and having to get one of the front calipers changed and thats about it I think. Still haven't got a replacement box for mine :(

Baz

i know a guy kinda locally that is excellent with gearboxes, and fixes loads of stuff for us. he could fix ur old box no probs, and he isnt ridiculously expensive for labour. hes like 70 something the guy and has been building boxes for around 50 years. knows his stuff!

Mine has had:

Gearbox (46k)
And an as yet unknown fault (havent had the time to take it in yet)

Otherwise it's been an excellent car, handles really well (-35mm on apex springs, 205/40/17 kumho ecsta SPT tyres) and is a proper little VTR eater, lightening the flywheel really sets the 1500 free.

StuN16Sport said:
i know a guy kinda locally that is excellent with gearboxes, and fixes loads of stuff for us. he could fix ur old box no probs, and he isnt ridiculously expensive for labour. hes like 70 something the guy and has been building boxes for around 50 years. knows his stuff!

PM sent mate.

Baz

hmm lightened flywheel eh? did u lighten the original flywheel - like with a laith (spelling???) or did u buy a lightened one. if i ever had the box problem, or needed a clutch i would most definately do this.

so far only prob i have had is with the horn not working. the rotor steerin coupling

should a seperate thread not be stated with each major prob, like brakes and gearbox. what exactly goes wrong with the brakes??

i've heard the Gbox oil fill is too low and so not enough oil goes in but is that the only prob??

could also put solution etc on, save ev newbie askin same questions ova and ova.

if there are already threads i aint found em.

DANNYDAMANNY said:
so far only prob i have had is with the horn not working. the rotor steerin coupling

should a seperate thread not be stated with each major prob, like brakes and gearbox. what exactly goes wrong with the brakes??

i've heard the Gbox oil fill is too low and so not enough oil goes in but is that the only prob??

could also put solution etc on, save ev newbie askin same questions ova and ova.

if there are already threads i aint found em.

good idea

if you have disks on the back of your n16 strip and clean the back every few months. they are terrible for pads sticking in the slides, then the caliprs seize!!

gearbox was replaced at 24/25k and thats about it

I think my aircon is leaking gas its not cold anymore. I think it might be due to the pollen filter. I am going to get a new pollen filter and then if it does not work I will get my dads mate to add more gas into it if not then I will do some more investigation and find out whats gone wrong

Had mine lightened by the local engine gurus, went down from 6.7kg to 5 and it has made a hell of a difference. The N16 engines need that little bit of revviness it provides. Well worth doing while you've got the box off/doing the clutch etc.

wow thats a big difference, at the risk of tempting fate could do with the clutch to give up now. just so i have an excusee to get the box out. lol. ha ha.

Had an N16 previously for just over a year, the only problems i had with it was a binding front nearside brake caliper, and interior panels used to rattle with the stereo on. The stereo and speakers were quite good though to be fair compared to the N15.
Also, one or two spots of rust coming through on the roof.

So far on my N16 P1 all of the brakes were binding and the rear brake pipes were seriously rusty.
Less serious is the AC isn't cold any more and the heater stays hot no matter where it is set to.
I've got rust appearing on the arches now but apart from that mechanically speaking it's been pretty much perfect!

StuN16Sport said:
good idea

if you have disks on the back of your n16 strip and clean the back every few months. they are terrible for pads sticking in the slides, then the caliprs seize!!

thers my wkend then!!

sayin that i can guarantee sumit will come up or the weather will be so nice ill be bikin on the moors!!

ive also got a slight rust spot on passenger side rear arch. and the drivers seat creaks along with some of the other interiour and i think that i have blown the pass side front speaker.

amazin how much other peoples posts remind you!!

ooh my drivers seat sqeaks too, but only sometimes, and rusty arches, well i have the tinyiest of spots on the same arch as u actually. lol.

the crossmembers are gonna be problematic too from what i have seen, bit like the K11.

Rusty crossmembers - yup.

Squeeky drivers seat - yup.

Siezing brakes - yup but on the FRONT! I just took them apart, gave them a good clean and greased em up real good and all has been fine.

I were hoping this kinda thread wouldn't pop up however i am the muppet and i do like to provide a laugh: -

Gearbox - total seizure/implosion
LH Rear Calliper - buggared
Handbrake Cable LH
Handbrake Cable RH
Equalizer Cable (cable that links the 2 cables to the Handle)
Handbrake Lever
Front Calliper Bolts
Entire Exhaust System within 60 days of passing an MOT
Multiple ECU Resets
Gradual Loosening of everything plastic inside the car (flimsy trim)
The odd flat battery when switched off

And to top it off, i think the box in my car the now is possibly on the way out as i've noticed between 4500-6000 rpm a really obvious whistling noise... LoL i've kinda tolerated the car so i have but every now and again it seems to kick me in the head and run off with my wallet...

And the dreaded MOT is due within the next 2 weeks - buggar...

Back
Top Bottom