NATS Immobilser / Alarm

Hi All,

Was using my p1 gti all day yesterday stopping and starting and all was fine unitl i got in it, turned ignition on and then the car just wouldn't do anything after that point (i.e. not firing at all).

The remote still locks and unlocks etc.

I tried disconnecting/reconnecting battery, unlocking locking making sure all doors etc were shut and nothing.

Left it for about 20 mins whilst AA came out. he arrive and put a meter on the battery and said try to fire it up and to my astonishment it started :confused: he didn't touch anything else as i was watching him.

It then repeatedly worked until i said the alarm isn't working correctly and maybe that is related. I locked with remote, waited for it to set then opened the boot with the key, and then i just get a high pitch sound rather than the the siren squealing. I then unlocked with the remote and try to start the car this time it was dead again.

Locked/unlocked it again and then retried starting it and it fired again fine.

I only locked it with the key last night and then unlocked with key this morning and it worked fine :)

If i lock the car with the key, does that set the immobiliser / alarm???? like when you press the remotes red button???

Any one got any ideas other than got to Nissan for a new NATS control unit.

and before anyone suggests DO A SEARCH i have already done so but could find info on this specific problem.

Cheers

Locking the car with just the key only locks the doors, the fob sets the alarm and I think the immobiliser is something to do with the red chip in the key, but dont quote me on that.

When you arm the alarm if you open a door/boot/bonnet straight away you get the high pitched beep, I cant remember how long it is the alarm has to be armed for the siren to kick in when something is opened though,

Maybe try disconnecting the battery for 24 hours and re learning the fobs???

Sam

:(
TheSam101 said:
Locking the car with just the key only locks the doors, the fob sets the alarm and I think the immobiliser is something to do with the red chip in the key, but dont quote me on that.

When you arm the alarm if you open a door/boot/bonnet straight away you get the high pitched beep, I cant remember how long it is the alarm has to be armed for the siren to kick in when something is opened though,

Maybe try disconnecting the battery for 24 hours and re learning the fobs???

Sam

Thanks for the response.

Do you know if i disconnect the battery for 24 hours, do you then need the master fob to re-program the other fobs, or can you just hold down the buttons for 10 secs to get the normal fobs re-activated? I ask as i only have a normal fob (NO MASTER) :(

also do you know if i got a new alarm control unit are they linked to the transponder chip in my key.

i.e. Will my current key work with a new nats alarm unit?

Also, does any one know how much a new key costs from Nissan or anyone else, if that is possible

from nissan, you're looking at about £300 or something insane... I'd go for second hand, i.e. find someone breaking their GTi, it'll be a lot cheaper.

Yeah the immobiliser and alarm are seperate units, so if you got a new alarm unit, it wouldn't stop your ignition working with the key you already have.

Ballam

the high pitched sound when opening the boot is just the alarm warning you that the alarm is armed and will go off if you dont reset it.

an update for anyone else who has a similar problem. My start motor is the problem, when the car is running hot it seems that the solnoid is sticking, hence when i turn the key i just get a click and it doesn't every try to fire.

A whack from a very long screw driver and hammer cured it temperarly and got it to fire but i have got a new one that is getting fitted tomorrow, so will confirm for defo then.

hope this helps others.

Back
Top Bottom