NATS Problem (Maybe)

Hey all,

My mother has a 2001 4dr 1.5 saloon, and recently it has started... or rather not started, the problem is that from time to time, the car will fail to start, not a tick from the starter even, the dash will light up when the key is put in, but no life from the engine at all.

She can drive it all day, and no problems, then out of nowhere this will happen, the only way to start it is with jump leads, when jumped the problem could go and not re-appear for a week or more, it seem to be completely random when this happens, and cannot be narrowed down to any one thing.

Battery is new, alternator has been tested and working ok, no problems with starter it seems.

So it got me to thinking could it be the NATS on the blink and somehow the jump is kicking it back to life?

I have been told it was hooked to a diagnostics machine and no faults found so seems the wiring is ok... although that's second hand info!

I dont think NATS will be an issue here...

I know with Primera P11 and Almera N15 - NATs if started with a "incorrect key" or the ECU has been swapped and the key has not been programmed - the engine will start - however will cut the fuel to the engine and stop it about a second or 2 later..

if you are able to start the car after doing a battery jump - then it sounds like the battery is loosing charge with enough juice to be able to power the dash and lights - but not enough to kick in the starter motor...

Is the car been stood for days at a time before this happens at all?
does the driver only do short trips (less than 5 miles)?
What is the voltage of the battery when the fault happens?
What is the voltage of the battery when the engine is running?
What is the voltage of the battery straight after the engine has been battery jumped (after disconnecting jumper cables)?
how have the battery and alternator been tested?

I dont think NATS will be an issue here...

I know with Primera P11 and Almera N15 - NATs if started with a "incorrect key" or the ECU has been swapped and the key has not been programmed - the engine will start - however will cut the fuel to the engine and stop it about a second or 2 later..

if you are able to start the car after doing a battery jump - then it sounds like the battery is loosing charge with enough juice to be able to power the dash and lights - but not enough to kick in the starter motor...

Is the car been stood for days at a time before this happens at all?
does the driver only do short trips (less than 5 miles)?
What is the voltage of the battery when the fault happens?
What is the voltage of the battery when the engine is running?
What is the voltage of the battery straight after the engine has been battery jumped (after disconnecting jumper cables)?
how have the battery and alternator been tested?

The car is driven every day
Normal trip to town is about 12-14 miles, and she tends to do multiple stops in town
Its a brand new battery gone in, although tbh I dont know the voltage its giving
The alternator was tested by a mech I've been told
The only other thing I can think of is that once or twice this has happened after going one side of town where there is very high speed bumps, it never cuts while driving and I'm sure it's never happened first thing in the morning at her house. So it seems its after its been driven a short while, normally leaving her stranded in town. (2001 is N16 model)

Luckily my N15 hatch doesn't give me any problems!!

Also, Chris, cant access your thread unfortunately...

just because it is brand new does not always mean its not faulty - working in the computer industry - you learn that one fairly quickly ;)

I think before looking at anything else - you need to get those voltages at various stages (not running, running and on fault) - esp for it to restart perfectly after a battery jump...

another thing it could be is a failing starter motor, but only failing when hot - thus by the time somebody gets there its cooled down enough and with the extra available power from another battery - it just srpings into life...

in which case - when the car is in "fault" - are you able to push start it at all?

I dont think its possible to push start, but clearly I need to find out some more info, will get back to ya, cheers for the help, as the the whole brand new does not mean no fault thing, I agree totally!

Back
Top Bottom