New member. N16 problems

Hi,

New member, i joined when i bought an Almera. Its a N16 1.5 petrol 2001. 66000 miles on the clock. What will not surprise you is i have timing chain problems. Well, im convinced it is after reading the forum for a few hours.

Struggles on idle and now stalls on idle, loss of power under 3500 revs, very jumpy, and sometimes struggles to start. Pulling away in 1st and 2nd gear is a nightmare, its now almost undrivable.

Money is extremely tight at the minute so i am reluctant to take it to a garage for them to charge me the earth and not fix the problem, im a real novice with cars so i feel daft taking it to a garage and telling them what the problem is and how they should fix it.

Is there anyone in the Sheffield / Chesterfield area { i live in Dronfield } that is A. willing to have a look at it, and B. give me a price to fix it. I am willing to help but to be honest apart from passing tools and making tea i am not sure how much i can help.

Thank you in anticipation.

Sorry to hear that, if you need i have a guy in the North East that does the Timming chain for £275 including parts and fitting does a cracking job, and the garage he works for does a lot of exotic cars. Based in Hartlepool,
Just paid £350 to have the gearbox refurbished by him this included new bearings, and a main driveshaft that was damaged. Let me know if you need the details

My 1.5 was the same when i got it previous owner sold it me cheap as he thought it was the timing belt as it had the same symptoms as yours, i suspected MAF sensor problem and took a gamble as it had regular oil changes in the service book, turns out i was correct and it ran great once changed, still does now as my son owns it. Not saying that this is whats wrong with urs but worth checking. A quick test is to unplug it while its idling badly and if gets better once unplugged then its possible that could be ur fault.

First of all, thank you for your help. Eddieitman, that does seem very reasonable, i might have to take you up on that if i can't find anyone closer. My main concern is getting the car there, a 20 minute drive to work is stressfull enough at the minute.

Sonicuk, again thank you for trying to help, i unplugged the MAF whilst idleing and the car cut out straight away, then would not start. Plugged it back in and it started again, not sure what this means but unfortunately it did not have the desired affect.

Any more advice is welcome, i have got someone having a look at it today to check the basics and check the tensioner on the chain, i will report back if any miracle cure is found.

cheers

Me again, replaced crankshaft sensor and its made a massive difference, its still slightly sluggish but the rev counter has stopped bouncing, it has stopped stalling and it at least accelerates. Will give it a drive over the weekend and see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

i was gonna say crankshaft sensor next if the maf didnt do the trick, that price is pretty dam good for a timing chain all in, if the cars worth spending the money on id get it done there. GL

Sorry to jump on someone elses post but does anyone know where the crankshaft sensor is on a 2002 1.8 almera auto? Need to change mine but got no clue where to look for it as im a complete newbie :-( thanks

Sorry to jump on someone elses post but does anyone know where the crankshaft sensor is on a 2002 1.8 almera auto? Need to change mine but got no clue where to look for it as im a complete newbie :-( thanks

The crankshaft sensor on your 1.8 is in front of passenger side,behind the engine and close to the oil filter. You will not see it,but you can follow the wires.
Same "unmount" procedure as the camshaft sensor.
;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom