New wheels too wide FFS.

Considering my next mod (30mm lowering on Eibach springs or coilovers) and realised my new wheels and 205/40/17 tyres protrude a few mm outside my front arches.
Rear is fine but I'm worried that under full compression the wheels will hit the arches (even though N16 front arches are pretty high). :wall:

So, will the wheels hit the arches and if so what can I do about it - will it be possible for a body-shop to widen the arches enough without too much hassle (or extra cost!)? Any other fixes possible?

i think they will be fine.. doubt they will touch the arches

syms said:
get a bodyshop to roll your arches out

I don't know if rolling them would be enough, the tyres are about 2-3mm outside the outside of the arches. Will simply rolling the arches out allow enough clearence for the tyres to rise inside them?

Pompey_Almera said:
i think they will be fine.. doubt they will touch the arches

You may well be right I've seen other N16's with the same size wheels/tyres but I want to be 100% sure as my car is sometimes heavily loaded (eg. 3 people plus a week's camping stuff).

When the KEIs were on mine, I never noticed them sticking out of the arches. :confused:

Mine`s not lowered, but I`ve had 5 people, & some heavy boxes in the back of it @ the same time going down an unmade road & never had any probs.

Are you sure they`ve got the right offset for the N16 :confused: or have you got spacers on?

I had a set of KEI alloys with 215/35/18 tyres on my old N16(lowered) and never had any problems.

Dale said:
I had a set of KEI alloys with 215/35/18 tyres on my old N16(lowered) and never had any problems.

That makes me think he`s deffinately got the wrong offset wheels! :(

Yeah, I guess they are right at the inside edge of the advisable offset range (nearer 35 than 42 mm offset) it's a pisser as I told the merchant I wanted to drop the car 30mm when I ordered the wheel/tyre package and they said (I quote, with spelling mistake) "I would reccommend a 2054017 this would then be fine while lowering.".

Sooooo, options (all involving rolling out the arches too)..

1) I wonder if a machine shop could safely and accurately grind 5mm off the back of the wheels hub-faces without reducing the structural integrity of the wheels? Seems to be tons of brake clearance so that should be OK.

2) I could wait 'till the tyres need replaced then think about dropping it then - if there is not enough clearance I could get the 195/45/17 tyres. There's plenty other things needing done in the meantime (custom cat-back, fixing paintwork, little bit of rust, remap + advance etc). I like the slight overhang and profile of the 205 tyres, though.

3) It may be cheaper to sell the wheels, keep the tyres and get new wheels with a higher offset - that would suck, though, as I love these wheels and they are apparently quite hard to find.

Hmmm, I'm going out to measure the size of the clearance problem. Can't be arsed taking a wheel off tonight to check the clearance, though.

Well, i ve got 205/50/16, Not lowered, the front tyres are sort of flush with the body there...offset is 40.

I also sometimes think that my steering is quite heavy.

My steering feels lighter if anything. I do get a tiny bit of vibration through the steering around 80mph but can't tell if that's just the effect of low profile tyres (it varies from road surface to road surface) or the suspension setup not being quite right for those wheels.

I'm starting to think that 195/45/17 may have ben a better choice for those wheels if I'm going to lower.

The more I compare lowered N16s and my own the more I think it will be OK with the arches rolled.

As an alternative to machining the wheels would it be possible to get brake disks with narrower hubs? 5 0r 6 mm would make all the difference.

I placed 18" wheels with 245/35 tyres under my car and needed to roll out my arches when you hit the slightest bump it touched the arches and my car isn't lowered! After ist been don i didn't had that problem again the only thing i still have when i hit a deep bump that my wheel hits the case inside (when jou see it comming just slow dawn en that problem is fixed to). :lol:

@-tention said:
I placed 18" wheels with 245/35 tyres under my car and needed to roll out my arches when you hit the slightest bump it touched the arches and my car isn't lowered! After ist been don i didn't had that problem again the only thing i still have when i hit a deep bump that my wheel hits the case inside (when jou see it comming just slow dawn en that problem is fixed to). :lol:
What offset ??

hmm the wheel shouldnt stick out past the arch at all really. never heard of anyone rolling arches on an N16. i threw a rear strut together once without the spring to get it out of the workshop until a new spring arrived, and although it was sitting on the bumpstop and half the wheel was inside the arch, the wheel did not rub

I don't know the offset but i kan say that my wheels are 8" wide! 7,5" wil just go.

Back
Top Bottom