Non remote locking to remote locking

So my 'mera GX has non-remote central locking, and a quick look in the haynes manual tells me that the central locking module has 2 pins for a 'remote control unit' (if anyone has a manual handy it's the wiring diagram on page 12-18). First things first, where is the central locking module, and secondly anyone got any ideas on how to wire up a remote control unit and where I can get one?

Phil

Hey there!

Just wrote a massive reply to this thread and my computer restarted itself and it lost it! I love technology...

Righty, I had a go at doing what you're trying to do, and managed to get a kit from Nissan, but I couldn't work out how to do it.

I've found the two pins you refer to, and obviously its just expecting some form of signal on them pins to cause it to open/close the doors... i'm just not sure what that signal is!

Eventually I ended up giving up and getting a full alarm system fitted by an auto-electrician but if I remember rightly, even he struggled and ended up fitting his own unit to operate the door motors!

Technically, If you found out what the unit is expecting on them two pins, you could make something to replicate that signal and therefore open/close the doors as you need... its just the job of trying to work out what the signal is.
Im not sure how customisable that maplin kit is, but at worst you could make/ask someone to make a microcontroller to send out the right signal :)

The central locking unit is a white box underneath the steering column. If you sit upside down with your legs in the air, where your head should be, (mind your head on the pedals) you should see it, I think its to the fusebox side of the steering wheel.

Haha seems harder than I first expected then. Seems like a long shot but anyone with a remote locking almera got an oscilliscope? :D

I wonder if it's the same signal as the aftermarket alarms use? I want remote locking :( And with the third channel I was going to wire up the horn or fog lights lol

I would fit an aftermarket central locking kit, but that'll cost too much and I can barely afford petrol lol

Phil

Yeah I expected it to be a job I could do in half an hour!
The annoying thing is, that I know it would be a really simple job if you knew how to control the pins.

We need someone with a remote locking almera with a little free time!

I'm guessing that nobody has enough spare time to work it out haha.

I'm tempted to try experimenting but I'm worried that I'll blow the unit. I'll have to keep thinking. Does the remote unit come as a physically seperate box?

Phil

Heres an idea, why don't I tap into the switch in the door? Because that'll obviously be an on-off system, so surely I can use one channel to lock the door AND unlock it? There are pins on the control unit (not sure which ones, don't have a haynes handy) which sense the position of the drivers and passengers locks. That could do the trick, any reason why not?

I think the motors have 4 wires if I recall correctly. Power (x2), Control & Gnd.

I had varying degrees of luck playing with the control wire, but can't remember how I did it!

Also, Yes the remote control unit is a seperate box. I had my hands on the alarm unit for a short while, but needed to wire up a harness into the loom in the car to get it to work... and at the time I didn't have the harness.

I'm assuming the control wire I referred to earlier operates a transistor/relay/switch system... which dictates which power wire is connected to GND, maybe a quick play with an oscilloscope/logic probe/multimeter will help you out here?

Sorry if i'm not talking sense, im not the best person at electronics! :eek:

I'll have a look this evening when I get home, but I can't really do anything because it's going in for some sill welding this evening. Might get the remote kit and see if I can get it going at the weekend. Thanks for the help :)

Phil

The 2 pins you are talking about are used to give the locking system a ground to active the locking motors. The remote unit will earth one of the pins on a request from the remote fob, and vice versa. It is a very basaic system.

Is that it? I couldn't find the box though :( It'll be soooo easy to do if that's how it it works and I can find the box lol

Phil

I'd take a photo of it but my car is at an industrial estate waiting till I fit my new clutch haha.

If you take a photo from the pedals upwards i'll circle it for ya :)

B

Back
Top Bottom