Noob with a DCI question

Hello chaps,

I have a 2004 136bhp DCI which I have owned for six months or so. My previous car was a Leon FR TDI, but due to expanding family (couldn't fit three car seats in the back) we finally had to succumb to a people carrier. The Tino had 65k on when we bought it, pretty clean condition and seems to run very well. It had the apparently common battery earth problem straight after getting the car which was sorted under warranty, but lately it has a new issue.

When driven from cold the car makes a whistling noise, like a siren, and I fear this is turbo bearings. It goes away once the car is warmed up. Does this sound likely, and how much is this going to cost me? Can anyone recommend a recon turbo supplier?

Any help or advice much appreciated :)

Paul

Hi Paul, I'm afraid that does sound like a turbo issue. Just to check though, have you checked you ancillary belts/tensioners? If they're ok then yes, turbo, and a call to Turbo Technics is needed and put in an order for a hybrid turbo from them. Uprated to be more reliable. A reconditioned standard turbo is likely to fail again (as has done with previous owners) due to the original turbo's poor design.

Thanks for the reply edk :) I haven't had chance to check the ancillary belts and they do sound a little loose when it starts. Could these really produce a siren sound? I was afraid someone might recommend a hybrid. To be honest I am not prepared to sink that kind of money into the car when I have found one with a 3 year warranty £200 cheaper, as I would hope to change cars before three years are up. My experience of cupra.net forums is also that hybrids don't last any longer, is this not the case on the 2.2dci?

Thanks again :)

Ed's hybrid has been going somewhat 3 years with over 200bhp pushing through it... Still living on in another members car who is very keen on FCD's!

The whistling noise is like exactly the same problem I have had with mine for the past few years. CBA to get it looked at in that time. It's a bit embarrassing when pedestrians turn round and look at you. :oops:

The engine is obviously a Renault contribution to the alliance, rather than a Nissan design. ;)

Back
Top Bottom