oil grade

hi all, just wundering what grade of oil most people use in a 1.5 petrol almera 2004, i have bought a genuine service kit from nissan including the oil which is 10/40 grade, i imagine this is fine to use as supplied by nissan, but does anyone use a thinner grade at all, i work for jaguar and we use 5/30 synthetic which i could use foc, just thinking this might be better for the winter months being thinner from cold use and then swap to the 10/40 in the summer when much warmer.
thoughts welcome !!
also does anyone know the location of the pollen filter before i search the car for it!

ah positive constructive replies, dont u just welcome them, but not every part on every car the same will in time fail, weve had transfer boxes on 3.0 x type smash themselves to bits after 30k and others that have never failed, so there is never no set rule where mechanics are concerned.

yeah mechanical parts / wear and tear although the n16 models are renound for timing chain stretch

thanks tw33k, my thinking is reading about timing chain failure on some of these, best to keep the oil clean and changed regular to prevent any wear, i beleive the chain problem is mainly due to lack of oil changes .

Yeah. But the qg15 is made of butter. And I'm pretty sure they are swinging for 100% chain failure rate.

There is also no noticeable correlation between oil changes and chain stretch.

so that in mind, whats the usual mileage for failure and are we talking chain snapping/break or just rattling its head off ?

i dunno some peeps on here are spot on with maintenance on there motors i know i am well apart from when its fooking freezing lmao
but i wont have the same issues as yours as mines an older model
anyway back the subject stated stick with 10/40 mate cant go wrong if u wish go for castrol but iv been told to stay away from gtx as it creates a residue that looks like the head gaskets on its way out

so that in mind, whats the usual mileage for failure and are we talking chain snapping/break or just rattling its head off ?

Anywhere from 20 to 120k miles.

They stretch so mutch they crank angle sensor goes nuts and you lose all acceleration / power and gain an eml

Yeah. But the qg15 is made of butter. And I'm pretty sure they are swinging for 100% chain failure rate.

There is also no noticeable correlation between oil changes and chain stretch.
Truth.

Recent example at my work as told in another thread. 03 1.5 on 58k miles with good service history.... Chain stretch! And it was a later style chain. Also, how can a 1.5 be so slow? Anyone?

im sure ive read somewhere the pre 02 models were prone to chain problems but later cars are improved reliability, mines a 04 so heres hoping then?

well its done 82k so far with a fsh, so never know it may have been done at some time previously, dont suppose theres any tell tale sign to see if its been done other than stripping bits off it?

Seems silly they built/designed a less robust engine than the older GA16DE engine.. I used to give my GA hell every day and it was a high millage engine still going strong before I scrapped the shell. Petrol N16's seem shit generally, I mean a 1.8 N16 is slower than a 1.6 N15 to start. DCI N16 is where its at!

hi all, just wundering what grade of oil most people use in a 1.5 petrol almera 2004, i have bought a genuine service kit from nissan including the oil which is 10/40 grade, i imagine this is fine to use as supplied by nissan, but does anyone use a thinner grade at all, i work for jaguar and we use 5/30 synthetic which i could use foc, just thinking this might be better for the winter months being thinner from cold use and then swap to the 10/40 in the summer when much warmer.
thoughts welcome !!
also does anyone know the location of the pollen filter before i search the car for it!
Not sure about the oil,I'd keep to the 10/40. The pollen filter is behind the glove box, take the box off by pulling the 2 pins inside . The pollen is behind,a small compartment about 6-8cm depth and about20cm wide. Two clips, use a screw driver, gently twist and the cover door comes off and the filter is inside.

Back
Top Bottom