P1 'GTi P2 Style' Lights

looking on this post theres no mention of a heat gun. so use one of them (if you have one) to get the glass off, took me not even an hour to remove both pieces of glass, spray the inside and refit the glass on my micra headlights.

So then, if for example i have and couple of hours spare this weekend, and i think 'ah i might do that headlight mod', how do i go about painting them? :rolleyes:

What paint do i need?

Any primer?

Ive got a couple of tins of grey primer and a tin of matt black at home already, so if this is suitable, i may give it a go this weekend, if not, it wont be done as i cant afford any paint :(

Cheers

So matt black will be ok to use?

No primer? Just rub off the 'shiny' coating with a bit of 400 grit i guess?

I'd rather use a few layers of primer.

Is this going to affect the light output in anyway? Will it still be MOT passable? If so i'll give it a go on sunday, just hoping that i dont fuck em up :lol:

Matt black might end up looking a bit grey. I'd recommend a satin finish. Not too glossy but black enough not to look grey.

If you spray in the right place then if won't affect the light output. When I had my p1 I was planning on doing this so had a good look at the lights and yes it'll be fine. My god that was back in 2007! Had this car two years now :eek:

Had a go at doing the indicators today.....couldnt get the lenses off.

Tried using a heat gun, got so hot in the end the lense started to melt along the edge, but no movement.

Then tried oven baking, didnt work either.

Then boiling water, that didnt work.

So not only have partly melted the driverside, im also snapped the clips on both and not even got anywhere :(

I think i'll try a headlight tomorrow afternoon. See if i have better luck :lol:

Ed have you still not done the shop yet?

Do you reckon you could do the mod itself?

More pics of this mod:

GW33104.jpg

GW341919.jpg

GW35602.jpg

GW36001.jpg

GW37442.jpg

GW37443.jpg
the lights are awesome! very nice work. by the way can you tell me where did you find your front spoiler? thanks in advance.

the lights are awesome! very nice work. by the way can you tell me where did you find your front spoiler? thanks in advance.
Not my car, just showing examples of the light mod... but I believe that's a Renault splitter.

Back
Top Bottom