Radio Upgrade to CD Player?

Hi,

I'm about to buy my first Almera but with cash being tight I can only afford an 'E' spec model. Now they only come with a cassette/radio and I noticed that the central dash fascia is one big piece. So would it be possible to buy an official Almera CD player out of an 'S' or 'SE' model (from like Ebay, or whatever) and simply swap it into my own car?

What year is the car?

If it`s a phase 1 N16, (80% sure it is) you should be able to fit any H/U in there, but you may have to buy a new surround from Halfrauds or such like.

Not sure about the lower model Phase 2 thpough, as I had an SE, which had the screen & the A/C, heater & radio controls etc. all integrated into 1 panel.

Thanks for the help guys! I can't believe that there's roughly a grands difference between an 'E' and an 'SE'! Hopefully, I can fix up a CD player for less than a grand :D

As Darren said :)

This needs to go in the ICE or N16 Modifying section though mate. I'm sure a friendly mod will move for you :)

I fitted a nice head unit in my old E no problem. Just need the fascia and harness adaptors. I got mine from Halfords so I could take them back if I got the wrong ones but you can get them online too here (be aware I have never used that site so can't vouch for them, were just the first google result).

Just make sure you get the right ISO harness adaptor for the head unit you get and be aware that without a bit of research and likely a fairly expensive head unit you may not get the steering-wheel controls to work with the new head unit as only a few manufacturers provide adaptors for that (someone else may be able to advise on that).

Should be able to do the job yourself (just ask here when you're ready to go).

would it be possible to buy an official Almera CD player out of an 'S' or 'SE' model (from like Ebay, or whatever) and simply swap it into my own car?

If you did buy one from ebay it would not be a straight swap as it they are coded to the original car that they were in from new, and a 2nd had genuine headunit would have to be sent away through your Nissan Dealer and reset. You could of course investigate this with your local dealer first before buying a 2nd hand unit of you can get one :)

Thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully, I'll be picking up the car between tomorrow and saturday (I've been ill all this week) and stopping off at Halfords on the way home :D If I get a new stereo, will the steering controls still work or will i hve to mod the wiring at all?

took me a while to track down a head unit that would let you keep the steering wheel controls,sent lots of emails to manufacturers-clarion were the only ones who responded and even rang me to offer advice-they built a high number of factory stereos for the almera and know their stuff..fitted a 588 to mine wth adapters for controls and gotta say im more than happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom