Raised bonnet

Looking at my freinds starlet turbo the other day, he has a raised bonnet from having previously had a top mounted 'inter-warmer'. As my Sri's aftermarket air filter is reasonably exposed at the rear of the bay (near the wiper motor), would a raised bonnet be a good move to channel engine heat past the filter? My theory was that if there is a gap for the air to pass through then the engine heat is not just being pushed to the rear of the bay and flowing round the filter?

if this is the gayest thing you guys have read please inform me and ill shut up.

Thanks.

lucino vzr 1 said:
Raised at the front i presume? My mates one is raised at the back,like on the drift cars!

Er,no! That would solve nothing, other than it smashing into my windscreen at speed? i Mean raised at the rear letting air escape over the scuttle panel and up the windscreen.

I've had mine rasied before..on my DET converted N14 and it was awesome!
I it just sucked hot air hot and cool air into my filter, it also made a difference on the temp guage.
The only issue here is not being allowed because of any engine failure the fluids (oil mainly) go straight onto your windscreen.
On the annoying side is all the idiots going to grab the back of your bonnet to open it and people at lights telling you you haven't shut your bonnet.

http://www.geocities.com/evldan/images/bonnetlift.jpg

lucino vzr 1 said:
Yeah a mate has his n15 bonnet just like that,never asked him how he did it though :rolleyes:

Does it look wank? If it helps drop engine/intake temp then im gonna do it tomorrow but if it looks dog shit i wont.

if you look around at circuit racing events then they just use what looks like perspex in the right thickness, just put that between the hinge and the bonnet. anything the right thickness and fairly solid should work fine though i think, just unbolt the bonnet from the hinges, put the spacer between them and bolt it back together again

sprint said:
if you look around at circuit racing events then they just use what looks like perspex in the right thickness, just put that between the hinge and the bonnet. anything the right thickness and fairly solid should work fine though i think, just unbolt the bonnet from the hinges, put the spacer between them and bolt it back together again

My plan exactly, gonna use stainless nuts to raise it up ,with longer bolts just incase. Ill take some piccys and go for a blast tomorrow and let you all know.

I had some Aluminium spacers made and used longer bolts....you may have to adjust the catch at the front depending on how high you raise it.
Lifting bonnets is a big no no here for motor racing events, they fail you if you do (because of the fluids leaking onto window thing)

Dont people in the Ford world raise the front of the bonnet up? to channel cold air over the engine? pretty good idea compared to the normal Cold air intakes etc!

Ive done it to mine, can't really see that well on this pic though

gti019.jpg

2ofus010.jpg

it does help a bit, but people keep asking is the bonnet meant to fit like that. its raised about 8mm using longer bolts and washers

Naylor you are a legend, thanks for all the pics, love your gti. Raised the bonnet same as yours. I used 2 stainless steel nuts and an extended (twice as long as standard) stainless bolt on each of the 4 mounting points.

Remove the bolts from one hinge (get a freind to hold the bonnet as i used a combination of the scuttle panel and my face.)

Put a washer onto the bolt and pass it through the hole in the hinge.

Screw 2 nuts onto the bolt

Line the threaded hole in the bonnet up with the new bolt and screw back into place.

Repeat 3 more times, have a lager, stand back in triumph at a mod that cost me 3 quid that actually reduces my engine temp on the motorway(fast road use :lol: )

DSC03015.jpg

DSC03014.jpg

is there a noticeable difference in temperature then? any more pictures of the front end to show how it looks overall?

Back
Top Bottom