Rear Toe

I put some VZR Nismo Adjustable gas shocks and springs on the P1 and its lowered the whole car.
There is some proper Toe-in on the rear wheels, which isn't very nice on the motorway.
I was planning on getting the car tracked this weekend, but after looking at the Factory Service Manual, it appears that the Rears axle isn't toe-adjustable.

I was searching for a solution and ive seen the Rear-beam bending thing, however, thanks to the unique way the search bar for the AOC is, im not really able to find a lot. The interent itself isn't overly helpful either.

Can someone give me the brief on how you do it, and if anyone knows somewhere that might do it, im based in wigan/Manchester area.

Thanks

There's only 1 company in the UK that can/have done it but it will now cost you upwards of £800 for the pleasure.

There is no adjustment on the rear beam.

probably whats already happened, lowering an N15 has next to no effect on the rear alignment of the car anyway so it cant really be any different to how it was before.

Im not sure... There is something wrong with it, where the rear of the car sways abit under cornering.
Its like the front end pokes in, then the rear chassis of the car follows, then the wheels get dragged round after. Its bizarre.
I had it up in the air last night, and all the bushes and bearings seem fine. It was only when I lowered it that it looks like its got excessive toe, (I can see it by eye) kinda of equally on both sides.
The VZR struts and springs have lowered the car quite a long way, so if it does toe, it would be quite magnified.
Ive been trying to visualise the bending and turning moments of the rear suspension assembly in my head to see if could toe by lowering, and I don't think so.
Its just abit of a ballache. Im going to take it to an alignement place, and see how far it differs from figures in Factory Service Manual

The rear beam is a solid metal bar. There's no adjustment in it whatsoever unless like Sam says you get the beam bent. Could it be possible that lowering the car is playing tricks on your eyes? Now that it's a lot closer to the body of the car you can see much easier how the toe is set on the rear?

When you lower the beam it shifts to the left abit, wont notice it so much a low speeds but higher speeds sentra guys describe it as crabing sometimes feels pooey

zerotoe_zps97718aaa.jpg
[/IMG]
zerotoe_zps97718aaa.jpg

Now that's what im talking about:p

I could understand the whole axle moving slightly to the right due to the torsion bar being fixed to the chassis as it is.

The best way I could describe the feeling, is like driving on under inflated tyres. It feels like when you turn the steering wheel there is some play at the back end of the car.

Imagine driving down the road on rear tyres that are under inflated. The car could rock about on the cushion of air inside the tyres up until the walls of the tyre were stretched to the point where it stops the chassis moving, and tugged it.
Now imagine driving round a corner. You turn the steering of the car, and the front end starts to turn, the back end floats round, up until it hits its magic spot, where the back end of the car is stopped from moving, and the grip in the rear tyres take over the momentum of the back of the car.
Its really bizarre, and I think its something that needs to be experienced.
(And I do have my tyres well inflated.)

The rear beam is a solid metal bar. There's no adjustment in it whatsoever unless like Sam says you get the beam bent. Could it be possible that lowering the car is playing tricks on your eyes? Now that it's a lot closer to the body of the car you can see much easier how the toe is set on the rear?

I don't think you should visibly be able to identify 2 or 3 degrees of toe (if that's what it is now (I think not)) over the radius of about 10inches on a wheel, when your only eye reference point is a curved body panel. However, after I noticed it, a few people who I consulted with have said the same thing.

I don't think its my paranoia setting in to make me believe it.

I was convinced it could have been the buhses yesterday, but after getting under the car, all the ones I could see seemed in fine condition, (the only ones I couldn't really see where the ones inside the ends of the torsion beam itself.

Last edited:
Now that's what im talking about:p

I could understand the whole axle moving slightly to the right due to the torsion bar being fixed to the chassis as it is.

The best way I could describe the feeling, is like driving on under inflated tyres. It feels like when you turn the steering wheel there is some play at the back end of the car.

Imagine driving down the road on rear tyres that are under inflated. The car could rock about on the cushion of air inside the tyres up until the walls of the tyre were stretched to the point where it stops the chassis moving, and tugged it.
Now imagine driving round a corner. You turn the steering of the car, and the front end starts to turn, the back end floats round, up until it hits its magic spot, where the back end of the car is stopped from moving, and the grip in the rear tyres take over the momentum of the back of the car.
Its really bizarre, and I think its something that needs to be experienced.
(And I do have my tyres well inflated.)

Change the rear trailing arm bushes

I will get it down to kwikfit and get it in the air, they cant sort my toe but on their ramp we can work it out. Then I will just take it home and fix it.

any idea you can point me in the right direction of which ones to buy... im not looking at £50 a side ones though

Im going to go to Kwikfit to make sure there isn't excessive toe. even if there was there isn't anything kwikfit can do as its non-adjustable.
If there is a problem, I will just have to get another axle from the scrap yard.

Once it is in the air at kwikfit, I can have a look at it better, and check the bushes out.
In all honesty after reading the first review of the bushes on the energy suspension website,
I probably will buy them anyway.

Back
Top Bottom