replacing rear pads

Wondered if anyone has replaced the rear pads on a 2003+ Almera with the ball and ramp type caliper.
Do you know if the piston windback tool from Halfords (kit made by Laser) contains the right fitment to do the job?
Replacing original fit with some EBC Ultimax, which should be a little more hard wearing. They don't come with any shims!! The EBC blurb says that most of their pads can be fitted without shims as they don't squeal anyway.
Has anyone had any experience, either with these pads or running their cars without the shims?
Finally, would this be considered an easy job for a person who is fairly mechanically minded.
Look forward to hearing any comments.

dont kno if the later N16 calipers differ from the P1's but replacing the pads aint difficult. thers only 2 bolts to remove and the caliper will be off and the pads will drop off, shoud be no need for a piston windback, just tuurn it with a pair of pliers and it should go back enough to get the new pads in if there is a lot of difference in thickness.

just dont let the caliper hang by the brake hose and stick some copper grease on the sliding parts of the pads at either end, also a really good idea to scrape off all the black grud that will be on the sliders too. really simple job i reckon, could be done in an hour depending on how well you clean them

Thanks Dannydamanny, gonna give it a go as i aint paying the Dick Turpin prices the local garages are charging for labour. Have heard that rear calipers are prone to sticking, so i'll lube em up like you said.

Back
Top Bottom