Resetting the ECU.

After a failure and replacement of my exhaust system, I have noticed that my fuel cinsumption is a little higher than usual. Nothing major but slightly annoying none the less. I was thinking maybe an ECU reset might improve things. I know the general consensus on resetting the ECU is to disconnect the battery, but does anybody know for how long? Has anybody done this and noticed any difference to the running of the engine.

Haven't really noticed a difference after doing it and if there is any, I'd say its just a placebo.

The best thing to do is disconnect the battery at night and leave it until the next day, maybe until mid day or so, I'd say this is sufficent time for the ecu to be reset.

I think you can do it with a diagnostic tool, but that will cost you money.

Have you serviced your recently? A change of oil and plugs can help with fuel consumption, hope this helps.

Yeah indeed, I got the engine serviced only 400 miles ago and I have to say the engine is running better than it ever has and now has loads of top end torque (relative to me of course lol). Ill give the reset a try and see what happens. Its just the fuel consumption thats bothering me, the engine performance is fine.

resetting the ECU from what iv always read is . Disconnect +ve of batter - Turn the key, to drain any excess power in the ECU, leave for 10-15 mins, re-connect battery, and drive it as hard or soft as u want to "re-learn" the ecu to ur driving style

disconnect the negative, stand on the brake pedal for 30 secs leave for 5 mins reconnect and away you go

makes sense:

Firstly bring the car to normal operating temperature by driving for 15 minutes or so.
Now open the bonnet and disconnect the earth lead from the battery, ensure this is not touching any part of the bodywork - insulate if necessary - and wait 5 minutes.
Next depress the foot brake for 20 seconds - this will completely discharge the ECU's capacitors via the brake lights.
The next step (to be carried out immediately, while the engine is still warmed-up) is to carefully re-connect the battery earth lead, close the bonnet and now drive the car in a spirited fashion (accelerating rapidly through the gears, full-throttle straights etc. etc.) for a full 30 minutes. Try to choose a quiet time on the roads for this, (i.e. early on a Sunday morning!).

This period of driving will `re-educate` your ECU into adopting more aggressive timing curves and alter the fuelling to match. It will also allow the unit to recognise any modifications you have made and to react accordingly.
If, on the other hand, you are not interested in outright performance, but are more concerned with economy and flexibility, use your normal driving style during this 30-minute run!.

yeah what i did

ignition off 10mins
disconnect negative battery terminal only
leave for 20mins
reconnect the battery
ignition on 10 secs
start engine
allow to idle
go for drive each gear shift above 4k to learn ecu to I/E/H etc
park up allow to idle
turn off engine

wah laa newly learnt ecu