Sealing up the mera

Afternoon,

After ive had my front x-member replaced, im hoping to remove the front and rear bumpers, arch linings ect and underseal the majority of the car.

Im just wondering what you guys think is the best way to go about it? Do i just buy a few cans of waxoyl and layer it on? Or shall i use some anti-rust treatment first, then the waxoyl? Or is there an alternative to waxoyl?

I have no idea really, but after seeing her up on the ramp at MIJ, there a quite a few places where there are little orangey spots where surface rust is starting to appear, and i want to catch it before it goes any further.

So what anti-rust if any?
And what underseal?

Any ideas/tip/advice will be greatly appreciated :D

Cheers guys and girls!

Underseal in black tin, and small paintbrush/larger paintbrush & perhaps a can of black underseal in spray form for really hard to get at areas. Doing it from the tin gives a really nice thick coat & durable finish.

2106.jpg

DSCN2112.JPG

2107.jpg

2108.jpg

Ideally u wana hire a set of ramps for a few hours, as id not recomend doing it under axle stands

it depends on how far you want to go with it, slapping a load of underseal on will do fine for most, as it will last a reasonable amount of time, the problem is once the rust has started to do it properly you need to get rid of it, and nissan underseal has a tendancy to hide the rust instead, so in an ideal world you would remove all that and start again, but thats only for sad people ie me. dinitrol is better for the cavities, just like the waxoyl stuff but gets a better write up i found.

DSC00441.jpg

DSC00470.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

all stripped back, painted in anti rust primer and is now the same colour as the car, takes alot of time though and i did it because i take being fussy to a new level tbh.

in an ideal world you would underseal it from brand new, this was what they did 30+ years ago otherwise after 5-10 years the car fell apart, now you will get 15 years or so out of the factory stuff so nobody bothers.

wire brush attachment on a drill is best, you can use a hot air gun and a paint scraper but i found the wire brush to be a lot quicker.

one from halfords, or ideally somewere cheaper, will do the whole car, its soft so it comes off in bits but you dont wear down the attachment at all, and nissans primer underneath it is so tough it doesnt even seem to get scratched by it! your looking at a good few hours each arch though, but if you plan on keeping the car its a worthwhile job to do imo.

i always use shutz and engine oil (50/50) in a shutz gun, the oil seems to leach into any cracks and panel joints and it stops the shutz from setting hard (waxoil-esque) :)

frank

I've been thinking about starting a 'group buy' on one of those 'hire a car ramp' places for a day or two. Then betwen us we all work on a car one at a time, working through them all. In early spring time. Anyone interested?

I've been thinking about starting a 'group buy' on one of those 'hire a car ramp' places for a day or two. Then betwen us we all work on a car one at a time, working through them all. In early spring time. Anyone interested?

Hell yeahh!, we could do specialized job roles.. one rubs.. one remove excess guee :lol:

Back
Top Bottom