Short Shifter

Got mind fitted today. It's made the car fun to drive again, I love how solid the gears feel now and it's so quick to change.

I totally recommend these to anyone with an Almera :thumb:

Yeh, but give it a month you won't even know you have one. It'll just feel normal again.

I was so ready to reply saying that that wouldnt reduce the throw at all, but you didnt say it would, so i think you secretly wanted me to reply saying that, well i'm not going to!

Dale said:
Yeah, but It would reduce the throw though? confused.

no it wouldnt. he would need to add it to the lower section to reduce the thro.

chopping the top doesnt adjust the distance it shifts, just the height it sits

i dare say k33 elv will improve on it, it seems he was desperate to last time hehe :lol:

QD

Dale said:
Yeah, but It would reduce the throw though? confused.

Oh lord, and your turbo'ing a car??

Only messing, NO cutting the shaft does not reduce throw at all!

but it feels better, i found that the shaft was still sitting tall, and when i put an aftermarket nob on it looked gash.
kelv you just love picking me up on this subject lol

it's the only thing i can say with confidence, i feel its my duty to explain it haha

you know some people on here, if you told them dipping their balls in the oil sump would cause a catalytic reaction with the impurities, and then adding indicator fluid would evaporate it all off, improving your bhp - they'd believe you.

Might try and fit mine tomo,
Is it straight forward?
What size nylon nut does it need?

still confused...lol :confused:

Why wont it reduce the gear shift throw?
Obviously it doesnt make the actual gear linkage shorter (by means of longer leverage by moving the pivot point)but surely the distance of the gearshift throw is reduced.
this is what im thinking:

Well i still think im right.. until proved otherwise. lol :O
My previous diagram shows that the throw is clearly reduced.

A 'short shifter kit' offers a different means of altering the gearstick throw by giving more leverage by adjusting the pivot point. This allows you to maintain the standard shaft length and have reduced throw.

However, A shorter shaft allows you to get to the same shaft angle (as a standard shaft) to engage gears but with less distance to travel. :roll:

how can the throw be reduced with just cutting the length, that makes no sense. The throw is still the same whether the shaft is 1" or 12" .

The angle is still the same so it will still need to travel the same distance to engage the gear properly.

Dale said:
Well i still think im right.. until proved otherwise. lol :O
My previous diagram shows that the throw is clearly reduced.

A 'short shifter kit' offers a different means of altering the gearstick throw by giving more leverage by adjusting the pivot point. This allows you to maintain the standard shaft length and have reduced throw.

However, A shorter shaft allows you to get to the same shaft angle (as a standard shaft) to engage gears but with less distance to travel. :roll:

think more under the car mate.

and to ur diagram the pivot point should be half way up the shaft, well 1/3..

and the throw is the shaft horizontal to ur chasis, underneath pushing the gearbox connection in and out, this is the shaft u need lengthening, which will then in turn mean, because its longer, not having to push it as far

im sure someone has a link to a diagram sumwere?

QD

Back
Top Bottom