Spooks 5 window Ford project.

I thought I'd better start a thread and get everything in one place.
I recently, and accidentally, bought a shell and chassis off eBay.
The shell is a brand new GRP replace shell made by Tribute Automotive. They made the moulds from an original GRP shell made by Jago. There were only 100 of the Jago body shells made.
The body currently sits atop a Reliant Scimitar SE6 chassis. It features a backbone layout with independent double wishbone suspension.
The plan is to get the car delivered and then work soley on the body shell to reinforce it with a tubular frame, hang the does and bootlid and finalise the hight at which it sits over the chassis rails.
I will then move into the chassis. I'll clean up what there is, although they are supposedly galvanised from the factory so there shouldn't be must rust around. Once that's clean I'll then look at engine options. My favourite so far is a Lexus 1UZ FE V8 with an automatic gearbox. This will provide the most power for the weight of the lump and aid the balance of the car (hopefully).
The next best thing would be a Cologne derived Ford V6 Cosworh as it is based on a similar block to what the Scimitar would originally have had.

Here's a picture of her from the eBay ad. I'll take more when she lands.

2025BF5E-F5E4-40C3-9A6D-027DB93300BF.png

Lots to do anyway. Should keep me off the streets for a while ;)

What's the crack with delivery then?

How do you mean? I'm getting a transport company to fetch it for me. I haven't got the time to trundle down 160 miles with a trailer. Quite a reasonable price though in my opinion, £150.

Bit pricey but a good score,i had a 71 Scimitar about 10 years ago for a few months,it was totally shot to bits but was ace to drive,my old fella bought a new one ,must of been around 1970 or so.
It "must have" the Lexus mill in there dude.
Top stuff.
:)

I'm slowly narrowing my parts list down.
I'm a bit stuck as to what to use on the rear end. It's got a 4 bar trailing the live axle with a Watts linkage sorting the lateral movement. Now if I were to use the Lexus lump then I'm not sure how the original rear end would cope with an extra 150 horsepower. I'm thinking not very well. The Lexus rear end is a subframe with dual wishbones and half shafts onto the hubs from the central diff. This would be the best handling option but it may end up looking ugly and I like the look of the original setup but I'd need to find a beefier rear axle to cope.
Open to suggestions...

So jealous, would love to have a pop at summat like this.

Massive massive potential Spook, could be very special.

I'd be getting that body as low as poss on that chassis.

love this look. i don't want to turn your thread into a photo thread mind.;)
Grabbed off g-images so teeny pic along with being computer illiterate lol

Attachments

• images (4).jpg
    images (4).jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 15
Are you sure that's all attached? lol
if i was taking on this project, then the "clean look" would have to look old and period, shiny chrome, flawless paint job etc.
Nope i'm sorry!!! "RAT ROD" win's... loud, noisey, look at me sorta thing, like you here it! then see it and you go "what the fuck!

Love the black one Spook.

I think the whole rat look is a bit played out if I'm honest.

View attachment 12661

I like the Rat look but it's only good if it's relevant. If you pick up an old farm truck and hot rod it, leaving the patina, then fine but I don't think I'll be trying to spray rust onto the fibreglass.
I do need a visor for the windshield though.
It'll be a pain in the ass to get the body straight enough for black or even the navy above it so it may be going red oxide for the start or even a light grey.
Still waiting on the dickheads at the transport company to get back to me about collection.

It's still in Dorchester unfortunately. I had high hopes for the transport company but it turns out they're shit and don't return emails.

I've got a bit of time to decide on a colour to be fair. I've seen a couple of grey ones that look tidy.
The debate I'm having with myself at the minute is whether to have the floor fitted to the shell or the chassis. I'm thinking shell would be best and would strengthen it all up.

Lots to do!

Back
Top Bottom