SR20DE LSD/ Phanthom Grip etc...

yep my pulsar gti almera has a vicous one :) deef notice an extra weird force when turning into corners and accelerating out :)

But your car came with that as standard I take it?
Any one with this mod added on to a non lsd gearbox?

Thanks anyway Stuart for your input.

i think the only person here with a aftermarket lsd is th3keymaster

put on your first post, aftermarket, as you dont really describe what your after very well :)

VZR box has lower ratios and viscous lsd.....best mod i ever fitted.

Not heard good things about phantom grip....nismo mechanical LSD is probably the best, but expensive. Viscous LSDs are good for n/a applications but when you start getting crazy turbo power you probabaly want a near enough solid LSD.

so what is the diffference between a viscous and mechanical lsd?

i know the differences between the 1/1.5/2.0 mechanicals lsd's but not the dif between the viscous-mechanical?
itll still ok for my turbo tho ay rowdy? beter to have somwthing than nothing atall :)
:)

so what is the diffference between a viscous and mechanical lsd?

i know the differences between the 1/1.5/2.0 mechanicals lsd's but not the dif between the viscous-mechanical?
itll still ok for my turbo tho ay rowdy? beter to have somwthing than nothing atall :)
:)

Not sure how they work, but i`ve heard a fast car with racing slicks can wreck a viscous LSD. Mr Bull should know more than me on this subject.

:/ simcard is using a vicous one too with his vzr box, his been ok :/ although ill have about 30-5-bhp more, cant see why not?

dbull where are you :)

Viscous works on oil and perferated discs that when you move the oil expands and 'locks' the plates....or something, that's also why they are perfectly driveable at low speed. But that oil needs to be changed regulary as if you have no oil it'll just act as an open diff.

Mechanical (clutch or gear) are constantly 'on' and a pain at low speed but grip a hell of alot harder. Or something like that.

simmo, whats yours driving like?
says here if it has sustained load ie turbo power if can result in sudden permanent loss! it will still work tho right,just like a normal open dif?

Viscous LSDs are less efficient than mechanical types, that is, they "lose" some power. They do not stand up well to abuse. In particular, any sustained load which overheats the silicone results in sudden permanent loss of the differential effect.[5] They do have the virtue of failing gracefully, reverting to semi-open differential behaviour. Typically a visco-differential that has covered 60,000 miles (97,000 km) or more will be functioning largely as an open differential; this is a known weakness of the original Mazda MX-5 (a.k.a. Miata) sports car. The silicone oil is factory sealed in a separate chamber from the gear oil surrounding the rest of the differential. This is not serviceable and when the differential's behaviour deteriorates, the VLSD centre is replaced.

Order of bad to good...

Open differential
JGY / Phantom Grip
Stock LSD
NISMO / Cusco / Quaife etc

I have the NISMO LSD and absolutely love it.

It makes a few strange noises when trying to turn at very slow speeds, but once above say 30 mph, you don't notice it.

To be honest, it is probably one of the best modifications that you can do in a handling / traction related setup.

Back
Top Bottom