SR20VE + T Blog (picture heavy thread)

1. Okay as some of you know I have decided to go ahead and turbo my Nissan Sunny 2.0 Gti.
A few years ago it was a standard SR20DE highport 143 bhp engine.
This was not enough for me after having many turbo'd cars in the past.

Anyway I imported an SR20VE engine fitted and mapped to 196bhp. Ran some 1/4miles, best I could do after stripping the car was 14.125. Oh well.

Now I wanted to sell the car but after spending a year collecting turbo parts and realising insurance only cost me £125 per year, due to classic insurance I decided to keep it and go ahead with the SR20VE turbo conversion.

So as its winter approaching I don't really drive the car during these months.
Have a large group rolling road day with the Gtir owners club in April 2014, so as long as the car is ready by then I'm happy.

Here goes, p.s I post on here as the banter is good and although it can get pointless and off track sometimes, you still help me out and I am sure you all mean well.

Planned spec

SR20VE engine
HKS F Con Pro Gold ECU Management
Subaru 440cc yellow injectors
Gtir walbro fuel pump
Gtir wrapped manifold
Gtir 3' turbo elbow
Gtir down pipe
Custom 3' Sunny Gti exhaust system from downpipe
Gtir turbo outlet pipe
Gtir induction pipe
Blitz induction kit, maf delete (map sensor)
Baileys dump valve
Gtir blue samco hoses
Gtir turbo braided turbo, oil, water lines
Tapped block for oil return
Gtir hybrid 360 thrust bearing turbo
Apex front mounted intercooler with custom pipework
Cusco front rear braces
D2 coilovers
10 pot tarox brakes
16' team dynamics pro racer wheels
LSD gearbox
Competition clutch and lightened flywheel
Full standard Sunny Gti interior
Gtir centre din boost, oil, temp gauge
Boost pressure 0.7 bar - 0.9 bar, depending on how mapping goes.

image_zpsb39ca565.jpg

image_zps376230aa.jpg

image_zps7a8f1d99.jpg

2. Then came the rad removal in preparation for tapping the block.
Removing neg battery port, get filter for laters oil change.
Jack car up and have covers ready in case it rains.
Draining water, unplug rad sump plug, remove rad. Sleep

image_zpsd42ee30a.jpg

image_zpsbc07c0d6.jpg

image_zps8d003fe6.jpg

image_zps1e5facc7.jpg

image_zps9993511a.jpg

image_zpsd4f7d254.jpg

With the rad out, test fit the intercooler. Will possibly need come cutting around the front sections of the car to fit.

image_zps09e414ef.jpg

With the car drained of water and rad out, I have access to the section on the block to tap for the next day.

image_zpsd56e00e1.jpg

3. Oil drain time, remove sump plug, drain. Then the bloody oil filter was hard to get off, so with your (aoc) help, a hammer, and swearing, off it came.

image_zps1f5a3e74.jpg

4. Once the oil was drained it was time to drill and tap the block, but the removal of the oil pan, upper pan, widget tray and loads of bolts was required. Dropped the exhaust and crossmember all the way out for better access.

image_zps51d2e4fd.jpg

image_zps166f2f97.jpg

image_zps9da93f6e.jpg

Seal the barb well with rtv sealant which we used or ptfe tape which some recommend but we never used.
image_zps264d0563.jpg

Make sure you clean the pans, take all the oil sealant off, clean the old oil off the pans and we soaked the nuts and bolts in white spirit.
image_zps28680abd.jpg

Put back everything in the reverse order you took them off. But take your time in doing so, and make sure every bolt goes back in the same place.

image_zps6056e3db.jpg

Car off drive, back in garage, clean the oil off drive, and rest for the day.

Next clutch change as current one is slipping

This whole job will be done on my drive with help from my neighbour who is a builder by trade and my other neighbours mechanic.
I have also learnt a lot during this process doing alot of it myself, just being guided, and will learn a lot more. I am an office guy you see, but now I am getting my hands dirty.

Enjoy..

Last edited:
Since you be 1/4 mile obsessed. Why not bin those brakes fit standards and get some decent lightweight 15" wheels?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

As i was looking around whilst pouring it. Worried about getting a knock on the door the next day.

Since you be 1/4 mile obsessed. Why not bin those brakes fit standards and get some decent lightweight 15" wheels?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

My 1/4 mile days are over.
Building this for street pleasure and want to attend shows/ events.

Last edited:
But the thing is andy. You do all this conversion and mods yet its not the car that need making better its the driver that needs some practice on drag racing ;)

Thanks, just though about it and I was going to do the build as a N/A VE. Jmr header, n1 cams, 3' exhaust etc. but weighed the cost over getting a turbo ve. The turbo ve outweighed to pros over a n/a ve.
Then I thought if I get the n/a ve built I will get bored and only want turbo power again.
After having previous turbos, I miss the extra power.
As I said not going to push it, just after 280-300bhp.

The turbo is a rebuilt gtir t28 hybrid turbo with 360' thrust bearing.
This is really the smallest turbo I should be able to get away with on a ve to make it run well.

Slight oil leak from the cam cover that was bugging me all year. Decided to inspect.

Cam over off, clean up, check for any damage, seal then back on. Start up fine.

image_zpse43040cb.jpg

image_zps6681e379.jpg

image_zpsb76c2ac5.jpg

Does it look healthy?
image_zps89cb73e1.jpg

image_zps0cc4e1af.jpg

Had it running over 3 years mate. Normal driving, drag racing, and street thrashing. Hasn't missed a beat.
Heard good and bad about JGY, I have had good dealings when I used to deal with them 4-5 years ago.
Don't believe everything people tell you until you have experienced it yourself.

Looks fine. Probably a few miles under its belt and mabey skipped an oil change or 2 but not sure how you can tell its had a hard life??

Whats the plan for lowering compression ratio andy?

Bad to tell from the pic but looks like slight varnish build up showing,just like my sr20de was a couple of years ago,further regular oil changes will help remove this over time It's just not had enough or decent regular oil changes,nothing to worry about though since it's not got to the bad stage.

My sr20de looks nearly new inside now.Whatever you do,do not use any cleaning stuff in the oil etc,does more damage than good imo.

Yes gave it the first oil change in 2 years. Didn't really drive it much.

Re compression, not sure yet. I am sure with good mapping it should be able to handle 7-9 psi as it is. If not will look into getting some det pistons thrown in.

In the mean time as the car is running map sensor I made a custom air filter mod without air flow meter with a few parts I had laying around.

image_zps4e6c5441.jpg

image_zpsf4e5cee9.jpg

image_zps184b053a.jpg

image_zps9a10cd33.jpg

image_zpsd5e5f52d.jpg

image_zpsc7b2ceae.jpg

image_zpsdedab9dd.jpg

image_zps7d892b26.jpg

Back
Top Bottom