Stiff Clutch pedal

Hi guys - wonder if you could shed a little light for me please :

Ive noticed recently the clutch pedal on my SRi has been gradually getting tighter and lot stiffer to the point now it requires a full on foot muscle workout to put into 1st gear - going into reverse on the otherhand is as light as a feather.

This is my first manual car (and first car overall) so im probably not likely to spot an exact symptom straightaway lol

I this a stoing indication of clutch wear and thus could i be looking at replacing it ? - if not what else is it likely to be ?

just out of interest how much would i be looking at to purchase and fit a new clutch ?

Many Thanks

Dan

My clutch pedal went stiff a while back, I went and sprayed some wd40 on the spring & cable bit. Sorted that out. But your problem might be more serious then that in all possibility.

Regards

what engine is it?

still the SRi

£53 -clutch bearing and plate

easy enough to fit!

i fit one about 2 weeks ago for a guy and only charged him £100 - parts included

my clutch got stiff before it shit itself - Was release bearing and friction disc

After new clutch went in - It was reli light again

£100 to fit a clutch inc parts?? wow !1 Quickdraw, u want to cahnge mine for me next time u in Devon?? or anyone else near Dartmouth want to do the job for £50 labour?? I'll get the bits! I really dont fancy doing myself.

hello guys _ I'm just revisiting this thread as my pedal has started creaking after changing gear-reckon its worth carrying a spare cable or WD 40ing the assembly ? Last time I had issues it it ended with the cable going been fine until now though.

Last edited:
hello guys _ I'm just revisiting this thread as my pedal has started creaking after changing gear-reckon its worth carrying a spare cable or WD 40ing the assembly ? Last time I had issues it it ended with the cable going been fine until now though.

I have a good spare gti cable.

don't worry guys panic over put some wd40 around the pedal all fine now no noises and the pedal doesn't feel any different :) did think it may have been the squeek from my drivers seat for one minute :) -MOT tomorrow though fingers crossed should pass through. Thankyou rowdy-GTi for the offer of a cable though !

A little bit of grease on the pedal mechanism would of been better,the wd40 will dry up eventually leading it to make noise again.

Back
Top Bottom