Stranded. Car won't start. (2.2SXE)

Hey everyone. what a night.

On the way to finish a huge job, my little beast lost all power and rolled to a halt. "Torque" said error p1273

AA were called and manually primed the fuel filter, got me going again and I just got to my client (about 3 miles away) as car rolled to a dying halt again. spent the day on-site working and at end of day, called AA again and they bypassed the fuel filter saying likely to be an air intake issue. this 2nd time the engineer reset the error codes in the ECU.

Car was left idling for 30 mins whilst we finished up and made good before leaving. Got about 5 miles before the prolem happened again.

the 3rd and final time the aa were called, I was towed to my mates place where I am now. it was late by this point so haven't done anything this morning.

is it likely to be the SCV issue I have seen mentioned in other threads or the fuel pump (I had been told that my pump was a new one following a prior failure)? Also, if pump, is it the one in the tank or the mechanical one in the enginebay? How do I access it etc?

Any other ideas of what to look for?

http://engine-codes.com/p1273_nissan.html

There are a few meanings to that code. P1273 can mean your MAF is faulty from what I understand. This could be the wiring loom (it's been known to happen before), or sensor needs replacing, or could even be it just needs a clean.

Fuel pressure is there also. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Also have you ever run injector cleaner?

Chears for reply Ed. Have meant to respond and thank, a couple of time this week but kept getting distracted.

The car is stil in Surrey but I am back in Wales. I have nicked the SCV from the blue, to fit to the black one tomorrow, when I head back East.

All the symptoms fit for it being that any way. Even the smokeyness that I had been led to believe was from an uprated fuel pump. I now understand why that doesn;t make any sense though.

I am always quite pleasant to my injectors! I had a car be written off years ago, due to the shear cost of getting injectors fixed, so I do run treatments/injector cleaners on my cars nowadays. The AA engineer completely removed the fuel filter on one of the roadside assists, so couldn;t have been that as the cause, but that was replaced about 6k miles ago. not the best but certainly not the worst either.

fairly confident (and also hopeful) that the SCV swap will fix her but will update when I have done it.

Last edited:
Had the same issues again over x-mas so have replaced the SCV with a brand new one. Prices on these seem to have dropped as it cost just under a tonne, even with the VAT. (from europarts, using a friends trade details. not sure of price if retail though)

I am really hoping that the 2nd hand SCV I knicked off the blue saloon failed too (common fault, taken from a car with 100k+ miles, etc.), as I've no idea what to do if the same problems arise again.

Good to change the SCV anyway, and don't forget to do the ECU/Pump reset procedure too. Hope that sorts it mate.

Back
Top Bottom