Teach me the art of "blow over" :)

Right basically, i have this sheddy matt white gx that i would love to give a quick blow over in QM1 white. I just want the gloss back, nothing special. I know its a cheap motor but i can't have a shit looking car.

I've never sprayed anything bigger than a wheel so...... Tell me step by step what i'll need to do. Please.

I have a garage that i intend to cover in plastic sheets with a painted floor to be as dust proof as possible, i can get a compressor off the brother in-law.

I need help with the following

• Choosing a suitably cheap spray gun
  • Sanding Materials/grades for prep and after
  • Technique (the business)
  • Lighting - my garage has no electric, whats my best option
  • Paint, Primer if any and Lacquer, how much will i need, how many coats etc

Just a simple method for an ok result. I mean it can't come out looking any worse than it does as it stands. I would hope that i could do it for under £200, optimistic i know but do-able i think.

I'll do a before, during and after pics so we can all see my epic fail :lol:

lol. good luck.

with the micra doing from white to matt black

1) sanded down the whole car. (180 Grit)
2) got filler out and filled where needed.
3) sanded down again (180 Grit)
4) one coat primer and left for the night
5) wet sanded (2000 Grit)
6) One coat matt black and left over night
7) another coat matt black.

all we used was spray cans :)

not the best to go off but something atleast. no paint peeling off or anything.

Ammar

waheyyyyy, nice one ;) :lol:

i'll let wayne or kristian tell you what to do though :lol:

or i'll try, we got a cheap ish spray gun from screwfix i think for £50 odd, gravity feed one. but i think suction feed are more popular don't know why, but ours seemed fine.

400 wet n dry all over initially, wet to take sheen off give primer something to key to. Then cleaned with tack rags or paint prep wipes. Then prime and wet flat after with 1000 (i think?) then same after 1st top coat. After top coat and 2 or 3 coats of clear
you can wet sand with 2-3k wet n dry, then compound and polish after.

technique? hmmm, important to have the garage warm so the panels are nice and warm and the paint atomizes(?) properly and sits nice n flat on the panels, or it's orange peel city.

Start your strokes before and finish after each panel, keep air flowing through the gun while not spraying, ie on the break between a return stroke. (the trigger is like 2 stage, just air, then air and paint). quite fast strokes, distance obviously kept the same. Distances depend on what coat you are doing....

For the first top coat you can be close and heavy i think if metallic say, then flatted before the last top coat. Then the actual last top coat is dusted on from a greater distance. if it's flat white may be different?....

lighting? candles :p dunno you'll need good lightin n without leccy thats tricky - no chance of a generator and some halogens or somethin?

Quantities - wayne and people who know what they're doin can do a whole car with like 2 litres thinned down at 2:1 with thinners i think, me n girth used like 5 :lol: after a few fuck ups and not having great technique lol. so i'll let them fill you in on that properly.

£200 seems optimistic after gun and all sanding, cleaning materials etc.

Probably a pretty worthless post but hey ho :p mine did nae look too bad. ish.

i got a quote from kristian not long ago to do exactly the same mate, he quoted me abbout 350. so if ya willing to spend a little more then im sure he will do it for you

bolloxs to pretty much what they said :p

white can be a VERY easy colour to paint!

you can get it in a solid so no need to lacquer it

get a gravity feed gun - easier for spraying.

400wet dry the car

and since it is a solid! you basically just throw it on.

keep a good steady speed across the car - try not o cover it in one go.

by the time you work your way around the car etc you will be about ready to do the first bit again -depending on heat.

get it all on!

and since its a solid - no lacquer - then just wet flat to a polish finish

wet flat paper - £5 - £10
paint - £25ltr - you will more than likely need 2 1/2 -3ltrs spraying first time.
plus thinners £25 average

gun! - £30-£90 for a decent gravity fed one

£110-130 for sundries - leaves you £70 for a gun and some heat :D

just pop in a paint place dude - not halfrauds or any thing!

and they will tell you everything

oii, i said gravity feed gun and 400 wet n dry :p

and i did mention flat, solid white would be different about lac

i was kinda there :( :lol:

Quicky, what about prep, for some reason i have it in my head that i could probably wet n dry it a bit to key it tehn go straight on with the 2pack high solid. Is this correcto?

Quicky, what about prep, for some reason i have it in my head that i could probably wet n dry it a bit to key it tehn go straight on with the 2pack high solid. Is this correcto?

i think that depends on the condition of the existing paint. If it's all ok nick, no peels, bubbles anything and you don't have to sand back past it then i think it's ok. Any areas where it's not or if you have to go back to bare metal obviously needs priming etc.

[/guess]

enter wayne...

Just key the paint. You don't need to in past it. thus using the 400 fella. Just make sure you get the whole car and take time to do this it will make the spraying easy

• Choosing a suitably cheap spray gun ( HVLP gravity fed gun - 60 quid )
  • Sanding Materials/grades for prep and after ( Scotch pads, making tape 400/1200/1500 )
  • Technique (the business) ( light coats.. get it as dy and hot as possible )
  • Lighting - my garage has no electric, whats my best option ( as much light as poss )
  • Paint, Primer if any and Lacquer, how much will i need, how many coats etc ( Use 2k / 2pac paint no laquer or primer required )

Simply make an extra effort to mask everything.. and using a scotch pad.. take the shine off all paint to be painted over.. 2/pack white will cover BLACK in 2 coats.. no primer needed.. no laquer needed..

You will learn a lot after 1st attempt..

My answers to your list Could get you these results..

kkustoms0386.jpg

Thats all I used. This car was only primered over the repairs, and alteratons..

..basically wherever filler was last used.

2k Solid white.

Can be sanded and buffed to a mega shine if you can be arsed

awesome, so seeing as you posted that kristian, diy-ing mine in bs7 with primer, and a layer of a ghost pearl and a candy pearl and gettin ok results first time, blowing over it the n14 in just white or ivory with 2-pack should be a piece of piss!

maybe won't need to visit k-kustom for the sprayin :lol: nah not really, i really cba with trying to spray again in a shitty old building with a useless compressor etc :rolleyes:

I believe anyone can achieve anything if they put there mind to it... I didn't think I would be getting these results within 12 months..

Each Subsequent one teaches you somthing.

at 25 im no grandad..

..somtimes moan like one though..

I think sincard is more than capible.. Worse case scenario it looks marginaly better than it does, but it will be good expearance

Kristian said:
2k Solid white.

Can be sanded and buffed to a mega shine if you can be arsed

Bam exactly as i was saying!

you can literally throw solids onto a car! - just the messier you do it the longer your gonna be sanding it smooth for!

but it will still go smooth!

i KNOW mark is more than capable.

i personally dont use a scotch but i know loads of people that do.

also panel wipe it down after you have sanded it! be it scotch or wet/dry

couldnt say it better - you only learn from experiance in spraying!

im still getting things happen i dont understand why! and i can even show examples to paint shops and they dont know lol!

LOTS of things can affect an outcome - from dust particles to silicon in the air - ANYTHING

but one way to learn and a solid is the first thing to be best to learn on

Cheers for all the advise, i'll be prepping the garage soon. Another quick question. Rub/Bump strips, i might as well rattle can these tomorrow for the time being, get some practice. Whats involved?

Copy and edit this as appropriate...

Rub down with 300 grit
Spray with plastic primer
3 coats of top coat
2 or 3 coats of clear lacquer

Would a good mop sort the paintwork out Sim?

Save fucking about painting it...

(See this months Banzai for a how to!)

if its just dull surely a machine polish would suffice...

I turned a matt pink corsa into a glossy red thing with my machine polisher.....

Back
Top Bottom