The Definative Autech/VZR/N1/Pulsar thread

D

Deleted member 939

Ok! think of this as Wikipedia AOC style, to save having to explain this over and over again to new people and whatever, how about we make this thread (In this forum so non-members can see it too), listing the features/performance/details of all the autech tuned, VZR and general performance N15's and then when someone asks just link them here (or maybe they'll find it in a search...).

So once information gets added etc i'll update it into this first post, because other people will know more than me! information such as bhp, numbers made, tuned bits, and images if possible.

I'll start with the features of the Autech Pulsar that I know! again feel free to correct me or add bits for me to merge into the main post!

Autech Pulsar (N15)
Features:
High Port SR20DE motor in place of the original SR18DE unit
advanced timing
sports tuned ecu
high lift cams
forged high compression (11:1) pistons
sodium filled valves
LSD
headers
full jazma exhaust system
autech bodykit
No ABS
No Sunroof
No passenger airbag
Racing Battery
205/50/R15 tyres
Cup holders
Foam seat bench that unclips and comes out in about 10seconds
Moulded into seat rear headrests
All belts/buckles apart from the drivers tuck away

Bhp?? who knows! lol

175ps = 172.5bhp @ 6800rpm
137.4lbs @ 5200rpm

• High lift cams equivilant to JWT S3Rs
  • Performance manifold with 60mm mandrel bent exhaust system, fujitsubo jazma rear muffler (same as the VZR N1 edition)
  • Sports suspension (probably the same as the GTi)
  • Autech bodykit consisting of bumper, skirts and high level spoiler (no rear splitter)

A 2nd edition came out in 1996 with passenger airbag and that anti UV tint glass

Autech history site for the Autech Pulsar N15

Attached is a picture of the manifold

Attachments

• headers.jpg
    headers.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 335

Pulsar VZR N1 SERIE

200 made
200ps @ 7800RPM
133lbs @ 7600RPM

Pulsar VZR N1 Lucino

200 Made
Same spec as the SERIE version

Pulsar VZR N1 Version 2 SERIE

300 Made

200ps @ 7800RPM
133lbs @ 7600RPM

1100kgs for version 2
1090kgs for race version

Optional sunroof increased weight by 20kg

Momo Leather steering wheel
N15S13-4.gif

Fujitsubo Jazma rear muffler
N15S13-5.gif

Enkei 15" Alloys with 205/50/R15
N15S13-7.gif

Orange interior with bucket seats
N15S13-6.gif

Pulsar VZR N1 Version 2 Lucino

300 Made

200ps @ 7800RPM
133lbs @ 7600RPM

1100kgs for version 2
1090kgs for race version

Optional sunroof increased weight by 20kg

Same spec as SERIE version

VZ-R featured:
SR16VE Neo VVL (Variable Valve Timing and Lift) engine
N15 Phase 2 Si/SRi/GTi front bumper with low grade splitter
VZ-R rear spoiler differing from Autech version with drooping edges

Quite a few, more than the N1. Theres no mention of any limits on the Autech site. Apparently they're fairly common in NZ (due to NZ importing all thier cars as they dont make any of their own) as are 5dr versions. There probably wasnt as many as the VZR as thats a nissan produced car so to speak, but there probably wasnt that little that it was worth putting a number on how many were made. Theres a generally a few on auctions in NZ all the time.

I got an orignal autech brochure today, everything japanese but i read under the displacement the number 11.5, so im assuming its 11.5:1 compression

Did autech tune the n1 engines and does anyone know the full spec. I've heard port grinding and engine balancing and port polish lighter flywheel etc

What I know is:

Yes Autech tuned the N1's.

What's different over a normal blue top VZ-R:
ported
head skimed
balanced/blueprinted bottom end
lighter flywheel (can't remember the weight though)
8 x 330cc inj
bigger plenum, straighter intake runner (slightly different design)
70mm throttle body
aluminium afm housing (and bigger)
N1 specific cam specs (not sure on springs, pretty sure they're uprated)
hydraulic clutch
no electric windows (option on series II)
thiner door glass
less sound deadning
fruity rear spoiler option

What's the same as a normal VZ-R:
gearbox
suspension
grey black interior
body panels (lights, bumpers etc)
...quite a bit the same actually!

cool good info mate and how much would all that cost in your opinion if I wanted to do all that to a regular vzr engine. Some of the lads here reckon that a set of cams would do the trick and a few other bits. seems like a lot more in your spec list.

almera rob said:
cool good info mate and how much would all that cost in your opinion if I wanted to do all that to a regular vzr engine. Some of the lads here reckon that a set of cams would do the trick and a few other bits. seems like a lot more in your spec list.

think really its a lot of little details that make the overall difference, you could probably get similar power with a set of cams and a few other things but it wont be as good overall as the n1. like with the red/black top sr20's compared to a normal 2.0, there are quite a few differences but you can get near enough the same power from the normal 2.0 without much work (cams and manifold) but it wont be as good overall and the better way to do it would be to buy the red/black top in the first place.

Hell, a set of cams (from Franklin Cams or Camtech? here in NZ)...a slight port, bigger injectors, throttle body and a stand alone (even a piggy back like a -emanage ultimate?) would be better than an N1! (at very worst equal to one)

evldan said:
Hell, a set of cams (from Franklin Cams or Camtech? here in NZ)...a slight port, bigger injectors, throttle body and a stand alone (even a piggy back like a -emanage ultimate?) would be better than an N1! (at very worst equal to one)

what about doing that to an N1 engine, uprate the cams, bigger injectors and there are 8 of them and an ecu also

I wouldn't bother.....for the money you'd be better off with a blue top.
You can do it for sure, cams and ecu would be a good for an N1 (the ECU alone for sure!)

But this is "The Definative Autech/VZR/N1/Pulsar thread " so this is not the place to discuss this.

need to be logged in..

there's no SR20 5 door 'autechs'.. unless its the 4wd wingroad aero special... but there's lots of SR16VE VZ-R SR-V 5 Door Autechs..

sri_alan said:
175ps = 172.5bhp @ 6800rpm
137.4lbs @ 5200rpm

I re-worked the BHP figure using some equation I saw DBull and others talking about a few weeks ago..

Torque x BHP Peak RPM/5252
137.4 x 6800/5252
=177.9 BHP

The Autech Primeras supposidly had a 180PS engine so this 177.9 BHP figure would suggest that both engines were the same and the Autech Pulsar is actually slightly more powerful than stated.

This means the quoted torque is either lower in reality or the quoted BHP is higher in reality.

Nice Autech dyno sheet: note the flat torque curve, and how it maintains peek power right up until the 8000rpm rev limit. Gorgeous. Its 147.5whp by the way and pretty much standard.

DynoN14.jpg

Back
Top Bottom