Tino - intermittent immobiliser problem

Discussion in 'Other Almera Discussion' started by rhzephyr, Sep 24, 2009.

1. rhzephyr

rhzephyr

Model:
    se tino
    Chassis:
    n16
    The car is a 2004 Nissan Almera Tino 1.8 Petrol. Which has an intermittent immobiliser problem .

Most times you put the key in the ignition and the engine will not turn over, the dashboard displays a red car with a key in the middle (constant).
    If you repeated lock and unlock the car you can eventually get it to started.

An RAC man was called to look at the car and he then called a locksmith. The locksmith had a look at the keys and thought one was ok
    and one dodgy.

I have tried to reprogram the key using a set of instruction off the internet, but it does not seem to want to reprogram. I have read it will
    not reprogram if the memory has errors recorded, but do not know how to clear the memory.

Both keys will operate the central locking fine.

Has anyone tried replacing the antenna ring round the key barrel? if yes any idea how much, was the parts. Do
    you need?

How do you get keys (transponder chip) checked?

Failing that can anyone recommend a garage/lock smith in the Bromsgrove area (Worcestershire, Black Country, Birmingham).

Thanks

Richard

2. edk

edk Addicted to Torque Staff Member

Model:
    SXE DCi
    Chassis:
    N16
    I'm actually having the same problem. Have done for a while. But sorry I havnt looked into it. I would imagine Nissan would be well equiped to diagnose but then there's the cost of doing so :rolleyes:.

Someone else on here might be more likely to have a suggestion for you. If I ever find a cure I'll post it here!

3. shaggy_master

shaggy_master brapp brapp!

Model:
    SRi
    Chassis:
    N15
    Ed This is my Uncle so cheers on his behalf for the quick reply... Lads try and hook him up :)
    Cheers, Joe

4. rhzephyr

rhzephyr

Model:
    se tino
    Chassis:
    n16
    Lads,

Thanks for the replies, it looks like I will have to go to Nissan and give them a lump of money :-(

I will let you know how I get on.

Richard

5. Corbs

Corbs Moderator Staff Member

Model:
    tease me
    Chassis:
    touch me
    Think diagnosis is £45 or similar.

6. mickrick

mickrick

Model:
    Tino 2.2 Dci
    Chassis:
    N16
    If it's any help, I eventually got mine going today by putting the steering lock on, then off again. It has started first time every time since. I spoke to a friend that works for Hurst Landrover and he spoke to Hurst Nissan. He was told that the production immobiliser wiring loom was designed and produced too short and eventually gets damaged due to pulling. It needs to be replaced with a longer loom at a cost of around £400.

Surely if this is a design fault it should be replace free of charge?

7. edk

Model:
    SXE DCi
    Chassis:
    N16
    Heh what should be done and Nissan actually do seems to be far apart I'm afraid.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was the vibrations of putting the steering lock on that made it work. If my immoboliser light comes on I lock and unlock then car, then give the cowling under the steering wheel a good wack. Then it starts :rolleyes::lol:

8. Corbs

Corbs Moderator Staff Member

Model:
    tease me
    Chassis:
    touch me
    Can you not just splice in some extra wire to give it the length it needs?

9. edk

Model:
    SXE DCi
    Chassis:
    N16
    ^what he said.

10. mickrick

mickrick

Model:
    Tino 2.2 Dci
    Chassis:
    N16
    I'd have to find it first.

11. June & Joe

June & Joe

Model:
    Almera Tino
    Chassis:
    N16
    I have an intermittent problem with the ignition. Sometimes it starts and then other times it doesn't. Usually plays up after the drivers window has been opened. I find that opening and shutting the door works. Other times taking the ignition key out and back in and retrying works. But recently it's become more common and a right pain being so unreliable. I might try putting the steering lock on and off and see how that performs. Other than that would a new/recon/second hand ignition barrel refit work?

12. Julian Butcher

Julian Butcher

Model:
    1.5 SE / 2004
    Chassis:
    N16
    On the off chance you can remember after all this time! What was the fix, I have the same issue, keys operate central locking but engine will not start

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice