Tino - intermittent immobiliser problem

The car is a 2004 Nissan Almera Tino 1.8 Petrol. Which has an intermittent immobiliser problem .

Most times you put the key in the ignition and the engine will not turn over, the dashboard displays a red car with a key in the middle (constant).
If you repeated lock and unlock the car you can eventually get it to started.

An RAC man was called to look at the car and he then called a locksmith. The locksmith had a look at the keys and thought one was ok
and one dodgy.

I have tried to reprogram the key using a set of instruction off the internet, but it does not seem to want to reprogram. I have read it will
not reprogram if the memory has errors recorded, but do not know how to clear the memory.

Both keys will operate the central locking fine.

Has anyone tried replacing the antenna ring round the key barrel? if yes any idea how much, was the parts. Do
you need?

How do you get keys (transponder chip) checked?

Failing that can anyone recommend a garage/lock smith in the Bromsgrove area (Worcestershire, Black Country, Birmingham).

Thanks

Richard

I'm actually having the same problem. Have done for a while. But sorry I havnt looked into it. I would imagine Nissan would be well equiped to diagnose but then there's the cost of doing so :rolleyes:.

Someone else on here might be more likely to have a suggestion for you. If I ever find a cure I'll post it here!

Lads,

Thanks for the replies, it looks like I will have to go to Nissan and give them a lump of money :-(

I will let you know how I get on.

Richard

If it's any help, I eventually got mine going today by putting the steering lock on, then off again. It has started first time every time since. I spoke to a friend that works for Hurst Landrover and he spoke to Hurst Nissan. He was told that the production immobiliser wiring loom was designed and produced too short and eventually gets damaged due to pulling. It needs to be replaced with a longer loom at a cost of around £400.

Surely if this is a design fault it should be replace free of charge?

Heh what should be done and Nissan actually do seems to be far apart I'm afraid.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was the vibrations of putting the steering lock on that made it work. If my immoboliser light comes on I lock and unlock then car, then give the cowling under the steering wheel a good wack. Then it starts :rolleyes::lol:

I have an intermittent problem with the ignition. Sometimes it starts and then other times it doesn't. Usually plays up after the drivers window has been opened. I find that opening and shutting the door works. Other times taking the ignition key out and back in and retrying works. But recently it's become more common and a right pain being so unreliable. I might try putting the steering lock on and off and see how that performs. Other than that would a new/recon/second hand ignition barrel refit work?

I have an intermittent problem with the ignition. Sometimes it starts and then other times it doesn't. Usually plays up after the drivers window has been opened. I find that opening and shutting the door works. Other times taking the ignition key out and back in and retrying works. But recently it's become more common and a right pain being so unreliable. I might try putting the steering lock on and off and see how that performs. Other than that would a new/recon/second hand ignition barrel refit work?
On the off chance you can remember after all this time! What was the fix, I have the same issue, keys operate central locking but engine will not start

I've had the same problem on and off for years! If you keep trying to switch on carb gets flooded and then you have a second reason to stop it starting. I'm convinced that problem has something to do with central locking (but,if it happens again,will think if it might relate to window opening...thanks!). What has worked for me everytime is re-locking whole car with key,pause,re-opening all with key......pause....try again...and it starts. Was happening frequently last June. Hasn't occurred since.....but will! Hopefully my method will work again!

Hi I have had this on wife's car the red car symbol stayed on and car wouldn't start it was doing this every coupe of days. I googled this and found a video. First of remove cowling around ignition barrel just 2 screws to remove and then remove foam insulation another 4 screws then you will find a white plug just behind barrel unplug it I waited a few minutes before plugging it back in apparently this resets the immobiliser, so far so good gone 3 weeks now without issue. Apparently this works for nissans with the Sam immobiliser system. Hope this helps

The car is a 2004 Nissan Almera Tino 1.8 Petrol. Which has an intermittent immobiliser problem .

Most times you put the key in the ignition and the engine will not turn over, the dashboard displays a red car with a key in the middle (constant).
If you repeated lock and unlock the car you can eventually get it to started.

An RAC man was called to look at the car and he then called a locksmith. The locksmith had a look at the keys and thought one was ok
and one dodgy.

I have tried to reprogram the key using a set of instruction off the internet, but it does not seem to want to reprogram. I have read it will
not reprogram if the memory has errors recorded, but do not know how to clear the memory.

Both keys will operate the central locking fine.

Has anyone tried replacing the antenna ring round the key barrel? if yes any idea how much, was the parts. Do
you need?

How do you get keys (transponder chip) checked?

Failing that can anyone recommend a garage/lock smith in the Bromsgrove area (Worcestershire, Black Country, Birmingham).

Thanks

Richard
I've had the same problem for years now with my bog-standard 2004 Almera. I find if it refuses to start with flashing immobiliser sign showing, DONT TRY TO START IT AGAIN. SIMPLY LOCK AND UNLOCK ALL DOORS, and leave a few seconds before trying to start again. So far this has worked every time for me. Doesn't prove a problem very often, but if it does it once, it'll usually do it again and again for a short period! And then won't do it again for ages!

Back
Top Bottom