top speed

But it will give you an idea of the speed achievable hitting the limiter in 5th

True but my Primera will do 166mph in 5th, it would need a fair bit more power to overcome the drag to get there though. I'd need around 210whp to get there actually. 130whp will get me to 140mph so you see the power required rises a fair bit for that extra 26mph.

pffft top speed is for idiots.. most modern cars today will get to 140 given a run on the motorway in a slipstream.. getting to 100mph fast though is what its all about.. anything mor than that on a public road is just stupid.. and i should know iv done it and im a dickhead.. :euro:

You could calculate your top speed by finding out your virtual road speed on the Rolling road and then adjusting it down with the drag coefficient, which is typically between 0.35-0.45 Cd for road cars (dependant on tyre size, spoilers and splitters etc), and also the frontal area of the vehicle (typically around 8.5ft square) which multiply together to give you the 'Drag area'. However I'm not sure if anyone will fancy hiring a wind tunnel to find out! :tongue:

pffft top speed is for idiots.. most modern cars today will get to 140 given a run on the motorway in a slipstream.. getting to 100mph fast though is what its all about.. anything mor than that on a public road is just stupid.. and i should know iv done it and im a dickhead.. :euro:

completely agree with this! my speed limiter cuts in at 110mph (satnav), currently i dont need anything higher so wont bother changing it

Steve

Only thing I could think would be useful for track, would be kinda lame if you reach 110mph & speed limit cuts in on long straight & then everything overtakes you

Thats if you reach & exceed 110mph on track?

i get scared at high speeds these days, must be getting old, fastest ive been in the GTiR is around 140mph, i did 149mph in the almera and that was scary

Turbo + Vzr box = 140mph max speed in no time. It's scary how fast it gets there. Not done anything crazy/stupid/reckless since Alexis was born though.

to be honest, anything above 80 im constantly shitting myself incase a copper comes from no-where or has been waiting for the chance to pounce on me and crush my car!!!

Steve

Quite off topic but since realising that 77mph on my speedometer is true 70mph, it's crazy how slow people drive on the motorway. 70 is enough to overtake most people.

to be honest, anything above 80 im constantly shitting myself incase a copper comes from no-where or has been waiting for the chance to pounce on me and crush my car!!!

Steve

I hit 140 mph when the Mera was 1st set-up with the charger & it was still pulling when I backed off. Tbh Steve, I backed off for 2 reasons ; I didn't fancy being banned & possibly jailed for it & I wasn't sure how much the standard internals would take before detonating ! I was very used to sitting at high speed though, as I'd been VIP driving on the autobahns for 3 years. I took an Audi A8 Quattro, BMW 7 series & a Lexus to 155 mph, an Omega & a Merc SEL 500 to 145 mph. The problem arrives when you come back to the UK & anything under 100 mph feels slow. Training with the Audi Driving Course staff & the Dutch Police made me more able & confident. :)

thats pretty cool Paul, bet doing that fast in the luxury saloons was amazing, fast yet super comfortable

can you elaborate on the training you received? interesting, like the advanced drivers thing over here?

Steve

Yes mate, it started with a Level 1 course by Audi in Austria (but the same course you could do in the UK).
The 1st day is spent on a massive warehouse car park, where you get familiar with the car's controls & you're shown what the car is capable of ie. traction control, ABS braking, ESP (stability aid), etc. This means demos by experts, followed by them tutoring you to try & match their control during slaloms, emergency braking/steering, timed laps with safety penalties, etc. There is also some classroom theory & discussion.
2nd day for us was 1st aid & security procedures (avoiding car-jacking, being boxed in, assertive driving when necessary, etc).
3rd day was a mix of high security driving with j-turns, dummy ramming manouvres, chicanes & escape/evasion tactics.

There are quite a few courses you can do similar to this & not just with Audi - Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, etc all usually cover this.

Then I did some convoy training with the Dutch Military Police & German civilian force - some nose-to-tail stuff but also with high-speed performance driving. Reading the road ahead, spotting potential or actual trouble, route choices & other security related stuff.

It's nothing like the I.A.M. training over here, which is sometimes outdated & much less focused on security & performance. Even the UK Police have admitted that 'Roadcraft' (the book that they used to base their driving on) is out of date & badly needs revised.

Back
Top Bottom