Transit Van

Sam

Staff member
Anybody elses engine sound like a transit van?, I know the DE is a noisy engine, but just how noisy? mine is ridiculous by any account,
My exhaust is loud but you can hear the engine over it

yes yours is well loud, is it straight through? or just half a silencer? lol

Gti`s arent that bad...
Until you realise that people stare at you when the thing is idling in the carpark!
I`ve always thought they sound kinda...agricultural...and I quite like that, its a little quirk that adds character.

glad someones asked this because recently ive been thinking the same thing. when i start up it sounds like my works van! soon forget about it when i start driving tho

when i start up it sounds like my works van!

Lol, must be worse if you have the timing chain rattle.

After a decent run, mine "ticks" and "pings" from the underside, which I put down to metal cooling, rather than a cracked exhaust fannymold.
I do hope that isn`t some sort of misplaced optimism though. :)

SirMixalot said:
After a decent run, mine "ticks" and "pings" from the underside, which I put down to metal cooling.
Correct, it`s the exhaust system cooling down, nowt to worry about. :)

Almera Guy said:
Correct, it`s the exhaust system cooling down, nowt to worry about. :)

Seconded...I parked next to a new peugeot 207 at work a couple of days ago and thought the stupid thing was going to explode...ticking and pinging away like a clock on acid...

Back on topic, my engine is reasonably noisy, hard to describe, but kind of like you can hear the chain going round when it's idling...it's completely normal, unless it starts running funny or gets ridiculously loud. You can always change your tensioner if you're paranoid though. Tis piss easy and a relatively cheap part I think.

My other half's engine is loads noisier than mine...so I'll wait until his blows up before I start to worry ;)

Seems a lot of people have been worried about their noisy engines lately...

WildChild88 said:
aye my GA14 engine is a bit noisy at idle :(

My Sri (GA16) is really quiet, mileage 57,000, I once had it turned on for over an 1hr and went for a quick piss and totally 4got about the car being left on, didn't realise until the rad fans came on (really noisy). :lol: ...

Yeah its not bad inside the car, its when i open the window, its like an....ermm... dunno how to describe it, like a ticking noise.

its not that loud, just annoys me

Mines used to be incredibly loud on idle, but it's about 30% quieter after i attacked the maf sensor with cleaner. The only irritating noise now is from the back of the car for about two seconds when i accelerate from stopped in 1st gear, think its the exhaust banging.

the primera is pretty loud and sounds pretty lumpy at times, you'd swear you can here the cams going round sometimes but theres no metal in the oil and it runs well so can only assume its normal, definately not a quite engine but they go on forever so who cares :lol:

almeras alot quiter, engines pretty much silent at idle, only noise is something down the drivers side, no idea what it is but every GA engine seems to have it, as does my mates micra.

Jme_GTi said:
It could be the injectors.?

doesnt sound like them, whatever it is though it seems to be fine with it, can here the injectors from under the bonnet quite clearly but never noticed them inside tbh, could just be sound deadening making it sound different though. if it is the cams then it may aswell get JWT s4's now rather than next year :lol: . not even sure if the noise has always been there tbh, its hardly used now and with it being louder than the almera everything seems wierd, seems strange that the almera is only a few years newer than it.

Back
Top Bottom