Tricked out Almera GTI

Sorry its been a while, but car building and holidays kept getting in the way. Anyway here's my finished ride, not quite an Almera, but it still has the heart of the GTI that it came from. I still cant get the motor running and I'm supposed to be racing it on Sunday, so if anyone has any ideas please get in touch.

I sent the ECU and engine loom up to Ed at Fusion Motorsport 3 weeks ago, on the promise of a 24hour turn-around for the ECU, and not much longer for the loom. He quoted me 150, charged 250 kept the spare ECU i'd sent in case I'd fried mine trying to get it running, and sent it back with just 3 new wires glued onto the loom.

Tried to start it, and no spark or fuel! Spoke to Ed and he told me that he hadn't checked my work on the loom which, aside from the ECU nats issue, was the main reason for sending it to him and assumed that the increase in cost over the quote, was for putting right my wrong. I sent the whole shebang back to him 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing since. So I'm out £250 and no loom or ECU. I've already missed 2 meetings and about to miss the 3rd one this Sunday, so if anyone has any ideas please let me know, thanks.
Tomback-end.jpg155-side.jpg

This is Elliot's dream vehicle!
I was thinking of building kit car with a FWD SR20 in the back.
Is the gear linkage cable operated?
Is the frame from a manufacturer or is it bespoke?
Is that too many questions?

I'd get the fucker on the road!

Its all home built iirc Spook.

Looks mint, hope you get the issues sorted, I think we did say that Fusion Ed is a fuckhead though!

Like Chunky says, sort this fella out Liam!

I've just found the intro thread in Newbies section. Good stuff.
I've seen 1 other RWD conversion online and that guy just used a 'U' shaped bar that ran under the engine for gearchanges. That meant he could keep the stock gearchange mechanism.
Bit gutted I've been beaten to the punch though.

Id love to help but its a 4 hour drive upto him. Im limited as to the help I can provide online as he's been at the engine loom and there isnt an interior loom so without being there to physically trace it its quite hard to fault find.

Nah my loom is purely to run NATS on the GTi ecu. Its not a conversion loom to run the ECU itself.

This is Elliot's dream vehicle!
I was thinking of building kit car with a FWD SR20 in the back.
Is the gear linkage cable operated?
Is the frame from a manufacturer or is it bespoke?
Is that too many questions?
Hi Spook, again this would be my wet-dream vehicle if I could get the motor running! Gear linkage is adapted from a cable change that came out of an MGF. The frame is definitely bespoke, I have the bags under the eyes, cuts all over my hands, black-mans pinches, on 2 of my fingers, arc-eye and several burns to prove it. Oh and not forgetting the gouge across the knuckles of my left hand, caused by the slitting saw in my angle grinder snatching, and shooting across the back of my hand. I knew i shoulda put the feckin thing in the vice, but hey, shit happens:)

Id love to help but its a 4 hour drive upto him. Im limited as to the help I can provide online as he's been at the engine loom and there isnt an interior loom so without being there to physically trace it its quite hard to fault find.
Liam if I thought you could help, I'd happily pay your petrol money to get here, and back or even come pick you up, and even give you a bed for the night (especially if you look like your avatar;)) and let you take it out in the mechanics race on Sunday, but unless you have a spare engine loom married to the plug that goes in the back of the ecu, a spare ecu and the associated components that get the nats to fuck off, it would all go to rat-shit.

I suppose I really should have asked Chunky where he got his nats taken care of. Just an aside for you though Liam, in one of the discussions I had with Ed, he told me that it is a code that gets inserted into the NATS to disable it, not a physical removal or bridging of the pins on the nats circuit board, which probably explains why the ecu you tried to fool the nats in, shut down never to run again.

I don't suppose anyone down Poole way has a spare ecu, all the nats bollox, and an engine loom I could buy do they? I'd really like to get this thing running for Sunday as my championship is fast disappearing, all cos I can't get the feckin thing to run!:mad:

Hey Chunky, who did you use to get the nats out of your ecu?

It's a physical removal of the NATS components from within the ECU and the guy takes about half hour to an hour to do it, He's a company called MB Automotive and is bassed in Cambridge (just up the road from me) and cost £85 no loom adaptions or anything I don't think he has a website but he does have a Facebook page if you're on there??

....phone....

It's a physical removal of the NATS components from within the ECU and the guy takes about half hour to an hour to do it, He's a company called MB Automotive and is bassed in Cambridge (just up the road from me) and cost £85 no loom adaptions or anything I don't think he has a website but he does have a Facebook page if you're on there??

....phone....

Is that Martin? That guy is the shit at ECU work. Comes highly recommended on the skyline forums.

Is that Martin? That guy is the shit at ECU work. Comes highly recommended on the skyline forums.

Yes that's Him, he definitely knows his stuff :) he came to my house and assessed how the SR20 was running on the SR18 ecu and told me what to do next

....phone....

Back
Top Bottom