Water leak in boot N16 hatch 2000

Hello - New here so any suggestions would be helpful - I have a persistent water leak in the boot of my N16 Almera - the rear lights have been resealed as this was indicated to be the problem but alas as soon as it rained again the was water running in. The seams under the rubber weatherstrip were resealed all the way round and it stopped leaking but then started again. I have checked the new light sealant and it is as dry as a bone even if you hose them down from outside. After removing the moulded carpet unit that clips to the rear slam panel I noticed all of the inner panels/weld joints/ screws/bolts/paint were completely unmarked by water ingress/rust stains except one where the rear panel bolts inside the boot to another inner panel - the two crosshead screws are as shiny as new but where the two panels join there is a rusty patch. the boot lip plastic protector strip clips into the top of this area which forms the boot lip. I have cleaned it up and found water dripping down between these two panels ( the inner and outer parts of the car) I sealed the gap with waterproof flexi sealant and now water is dripping through the same panel join but further towards the side of the car (i.e where these two panels run horizontally about 3 - 4" below the light unit)
Seems the water is still getting in and where ever I seal a leaky bit the water just moves on to another joint - none of which have any underseal of sealant on them - I don't like carrying a couple of pints of water in the car every time it rains....:(

Been there done that. and so has the garage - they said water was coming in the seam that the rubber weather seal fits on - all seams have been sealed twice and firing water on the seam with the weather strip removed does not result in any water in the car but as soon as it rains it start dripping in again ...

Just read the above and thought I would add my boot leak solution. I have been having water leaking into my boot for a couple of weeks filling the spare tyre well with water. The garage had a couple of looks and failed to solve the issue so I decided to look for myself. The water was pooling inside just below the rear lights and looked to be coming through a gap in the metal but not sure where from. I then removed all the trim in the boot and could see water coming from above down the inside of the side panel. The only thing above I could see is a rubber trim about 12 inch long on the car roof behind the back door. I pulled this off but the channel in the metal all looked sound and rust free. The leak persisted and I was in despair. I then read on the internet that this channel could still be the culprit so I went out and filled this small channel with silicon sealant. To my amazement the leak has stopped, thankfully as it has rained all day today. Hope this helps anyone with this problem. Might save you ripping out the boot like I did!!

Hi, do you still have the Almera? If so is it still leak free, I have I think the same issue but unsure exactly where this trim /channel you filled with silicone is positioned?

Just read the above and thought I would add my boot leak solution. I have been having water leaking into my boot for a couple of weeks filling the spare tyre well with water. The garage had a couple of looks and failed to solve the issue so I decided to look for myself. The water was pooling inside just below the rear lights and looked to be coming through a gap in the metal but not sure where from. I then removed all the trim in the boot and could see water coming from above down the inside of the side panel. The only thing above I could see is a rubber trim about 12 inch long on the car roof behind the back door. I pulled this off but the channel in the metal all looked sound and rust free. The leak persisted and I was in despair. I then read on the internet that this channel could still be the culprit so I went out and filled this small channel with silicon sealant. To my amazement the leak has stopped, thankfully as it has rained all day today. Hope this helps anyone with this problem. Might save you ripping out the boot like I did!!

Thanks for posting this, I have been chasing exactly the same leak down on my N16 3 door for 5 weeks, came across this old post and bought some seam sealer and applied some all the way along the roof channel, it's been raining all day and no leak. Very happy!!

There was no rust in the roof channel, just a hairline crack in the seam sealer in some parts of the seam.

Thanks again!!!

I had the same problem, water in the boot entering from the offside when it rained. I removed the boot lining and used paper towels to find out where it ws coming from.

CarBoot1.JPG

The rooftop drain channels were the problem. Cleaning away the debris revealed an entry point for the water.

20171015_crack.jpg

The fix was a good layer of silicone sealer and it's been watertight for a couple of years now.

20171015_sealed.jpg

Why is there a gap between the body pannels at this point and why do so many Almeras appear to have the same problem? It looks as though there is some sort of filler between the pannels which must have been added during construction and before painting.

Thanks for posting this, I have been chasing exactly the same leak down on my N16 3 door for 5 weeks, came across this old post and bought some seam sealer and applied some all the way along the roof channel, it's been raining all day and no leak. Very happy!!

There was no rust in the roof channel, just a hairline crack in the seam sealer in some parts of the seam.

Thanks again!!!

Do you know by any chance if this rubber strip is also to blame? Or what the damn things name is?1664120189733.jpg

I too have started having this issue in a 2006 5 door N16 hatch. I'll check out those roof seams and report back. It seems worse on the drivers side. The previous owner had sealed in the right side rear light cluster ...with what looks like tiger seal as I can't remove it ...but water is still getting in from somewhere and dropping down the back of this cluster...it's getting in thru the bodywork somewhere ....pain in the arse...otherwise it's a great car ....

I also have a leak in N16 saloon. Took off the trim, stuck a house pipe on the back and could see the water pissing in. On investigation it seems to be coming in through a joint on the boot. Picturess below. I'm using Captain trolley product to try seal it first. Failing that, silicone for the win.

Attachments

• 20230304_154548.jpg
    20230304_154548.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 20230304_154527.jpg
    20230304_154527.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom