What is this???

• Thread starter Thread starter mikesndbs
  • Start date Start date
M

mikesndbs

:eek:

Just noticed this around the drivers door handle.
Looks like thin clear plastic.

:(

11.jpg

11-1.jpg

its a layer that goes over the paint, i think,it protects the paint. mmm...not sure how to remedy it...you could prob get some touch lacuer paint or something.

johnbwoy said:
its a layer that goes over the paint, i think,it protects the paint. mmm...not sure how to remedy it...you could prob get some touch lacuer paint or something.

:shock:

I am not the original owner. It has had about 5. Do you think this will make a difference ?

As long as you have all the documentation it should still be valid...think they have a 10 year warranty or something like that. Give them a ring...it's always worth asking!

If they won't fix it, pick off the lifted laquer carefully (it'll look less see through than the rest) until you can't really see the line and then carefully apply some fresh laquer, overlapping the old slightly. Don't know whether spraycan or paintbrush would be best, but I'd opt for paintbrush personally. Take the door handles off too to make sure you get underneath. Don't know what the finish will be like, but it's better to do this to seal it and prevent more of it lifting.

Can't imagine it's true, but it looks like the laquer has been applied after the handles (i.e. they've been masked off and sprayed around) allowing the weather to get to the edges.

Wouldn't worry too much, there are usually at least 2 layers of laquer on! :)

¨Aren't bodywork/paint warranties about 8-10 years?¨

yeah, but they'll throw pretty much everything into the normal wear and tear catagory they wont cover. With that being around the door handle they'll just tell you to get lost I'd imagine.

The warranty is 60K or 3 years. a dealer wouldnt even entertain that im afraid, ther is no proof that the car has no been painted in the past either really, i will check with warranties if you like but i think you would be on a hiding to nothing, unless the antiperforation checks have been arried out and filled in religeously in the service book

Back
Top Bottom