What to do to it?

Well it looks as if it isn't going to sell, so it's onwards with the plans...

What do you guys think I should do to the Autech?

Coilovers
Uprated discs and pads
Bucket seats, stripped out

I'm not sure about doing anymore to the engine as it costs so much to get anymore from N/A, maybe a DET?

There's the option of a 2.5" exhaust system and mapping, but that alone will cost maybe £1000 for all the proper gear and I might see 10bhp, so really for that sort of money it might be worth getting a Gti-R engine with the following bits.

4 branch
ball-bearing T28 tubby
FMIC
3" exhaust system
Fuel pump

That's going to be a good 250bhp, which makes me think about the gearbox. I have an LSD, but if my box snuffed it would I be able to tranfer the LSD into the new box?

All things to think about with it.

I'd like to turn it into an Autech Turbo. Use the head, cams, valves from my highport, then use Low comp Gti-R bottom end, Gti-R manifold etc and electrics as then I'd also have the cams for a bit more hooof! lol

If that's possible?

Just lower the asking price?

or yeah, sell the autech engine (to me) and DET it :D

K33 ELV said:
Just lower the asking price?

i agree with kelv... i strongly doubt anyone is going to fork out over 3k for a 96 Autech, especially when they could pay half the price for a well maintained GTi..

i suppose its got low mileage and it has the rarity factor.. but with GTi's going for around the 1000 - 1500 mark and both the performance from an Autech and a GTi being around the same mark.. i'd say your going to have a good bit of trouble trying to sell it at that price..

good luck with it.. whatever you do..

its a tough one to decide, you could strip it out for track use but then you'd be as well taking the bodykit off as well to lighten it up more - which would then take something away from it. may as well just focus on the handling/braking like you suggested. all depends on what you want the car for

Well the coilovers in the group buy will be fitted as soon as they're sorted as it will look sweet lowered.

As far as engine tuning, these are the options left:

Flywheel and ACT Clutch (I have clutch)
2.5" mani and downpipe, decat (have that), 5zigen cat back system
remapped
wilwoods (if they'd fit)

I noticed they have 440cc injectors for the DE, though I can't see it being that benificial without more air.

Or use a DET engine, but then I'd like to know how much hp it can take and it's going to cost a fortune to have that stuck in the car. It's going to have to have a front mount t'intercooler and other bits as well as mapping, which is expensive.

Hummm. :confused:

P1190006.jpg

Much better with the Lucino grill :D

DET would probably be your cheapest way to bhp, 220 standard & you can pick the engine up for 300-500 quid (remember a flywheel is about 200) and you wouldn't need much other bits:

GTiR Engine
Autech sensors, knock sensor, oil sender and maybe o2 sensor
GTiR MAF
ECU with Greddy Emanage mapped to run.
Front mount intercooler (or a bonnet that can take the top mount.)
uprated engine mounts (recommended)
Uprated clutch
Uprated fuel pump
Bigger brakes are advised
Custom exhaust from downpipe, all the way back.

Off the top of my head thats about what you need

Would I be able to use a GTiR front mount? Mounting it might be tricky, but the Autech front bumper would be perfect for huge air-flow :D

With it being an autech, i think you should go down the N/A route and stick with its routes...

I'd go for some piper race cams, a 2.5" exhaust and jetex hiflow CAT, this combined with the autechs High comp should see some good power after a remap.

Dont know what the CR is on these, but something like 12:1 would be nice.. so get the head skimmed too.

You will be looking at about £1000 for a decent GTiR engine with AFM Manifold, turbo and all the sensors. The FMIC kits made for the GTIR will fit the Almera with no problems.

Personally I think it will be a waste putting a gti-r engine in an autech. You might as well buy a decent cheap black GTi for £1500 and do it to that, then you can put the autech bodykit on the GTi if you want that, and i can buy the autech off you with the GTi bumpers fitted for £1500 ready for the track.. Deal.?

Please don't turbo the autech. it negates the purpose of buying a higher-tuned N/A car in the first place. You could do what Br3n did and just hold out for the right buyer. Turbos are also way more 'faffy' and, in my experience, a lot less reliable.

Stripping out the car will instantly lower its value a lot if you make it irreversible, although to get the best gains from weight loss you should go all-out with it a la Rowdy_GTi but this make it near-impossible to sell on afterward (He has taken a decision to make an all-out track car for himself and no-one else).

Well said corbs.

keep the Autech and sort out the power loss issue you`ve had for ages. You run a hi-port non roller head so you have a massive choice of cams you can throw in.....after you`ve got at least a 2.25" cat-back...the standard stainless header you have will probably be ok.

You could easily see 170--175whp which is getting close to 200@ the fly.

I agree, keep it n/a. Have you looked at any Japanese tuned Autechs? See what they do with em'? I think it would look great on coilovers, 1 bucket (similar to what i had) Nardi steering wheel (which i have for sale) and a 5zigen pipe. Why ruin a rare car with irreversable mods?

Hard to find much on the Autech, so far it's been guessing and playing with Gti parts.

Changed the fuel filter, make it feel a little smoother.

Anyone who wanted to a mod a GTi would be better off spending a little more and buying this, If you managed to find a gti with as low miles and no rust, thats at very least £1500. £1500 on mods doesnt even get you close to what this car is running... So saying no one will pay £3k is rediculous, just because you wont..

Trouble on here is the almera is a cheap car (ususally) and that attracts a certain type of person, Generally speaking I think most of us only have n15's as we cant afford anything better... rowdy you dont count, your just strange :)

Come to think of it I probably could afford something better... if I didnt spend all my money on N15s.... and thus the circle begins again...

Back
Top Bottom