wheel sizes?

I read that the PCD (?) for the n16 vera is 4x114 - im checking out some rota's, great looking wheels im sure you'll agree,

http://www.rarerims.co.uk/product_d...2baf4088d2297e50a795e6efde&size_id=5&pcd_id=7

The PCD listed there for some wheels is 4x114.3. Is this irrelivant or what? Will they fit? And what do the numbers actually mean?

Fellow n16 drivers, what size of alloys have you got fitted~? I'm trying to get an idea of sizes visually, for the civics i used to hang about with if you went bigger than 16" it looks stupid, but maybe 17" would look about right on an almera?

cheers

Nice wheels..... ;) Not sure you can get em in your PCD though. Mine are 16".
Picture004-2.jpg

(click for bigness)

205/45/17, PCD-4x114, Offset-35, Bore-66.1,

They fit fine but passenger-side front sticks out a tiny bit too far for my liking - we'll see when I lower it if it's too much, maybe a 38 offset would have been better?

The edge of the tyre is about flush with the outside of the arch, that pic's not brilliant and makes it look worse than it is.

The wheels you link to on that site have the right PCD (probably, I've seen N16 listed as 114, 114.3 and 114.4, just check with seller first) but an offset of 45 so the inside edge may be too close your suspension unless you used spacers and then the outside edge may be outside the arch.

According to the site I use for suggesting wheel sizes 42mm offset is supposed to be the max for an N16.

please excuse my complete newbieness, but whats an offset? Why do your wheels stick out? Surely if the PCD is right it should just work no? I'll email rare-rims but my past experience with them has led to believe they say yes to anything and everything!

Rowdy, stunning car btw, hows the paint so young looking?! I'm praying you had a respray - If I could have pollished mine up to look like that I might still have it!!

Cam said:
Rowdy, stunning car btw, hows the paint so young looking?! I'm praying you had a respray - If I could have pollished mine up to look like that I might still have it!!

Thanks, no respray, just careful ownership and the odd polish.

N16guypics003.jpg

Hyper Black, KEI Racing Force 10s, 205/40/17s multi-fitment (114 + 100 pcd).

No problems with them whatsoever, they did about 20k miles on the N16 (never got round to lowering it though), then they went on the GTi (100 pcd) when I got it, again with no problems.

GTipics001-1.jpg

Got them from www.motorsportworld.co.uk just make sure you order N16 ones & you should be fine.

It was just luck mine were multi-fitment, though.

Cam said:
I read that the PCD (?) for the n16 vera is 4x114 - im checking out some rota's, great looking wheels im sure you'll agree,

http://www.rarerims.co.uk/product_d...2baf4088d2297e50a795e6efde&size_id=5&pcd_id=7

The PCD listed there for some wheels is 4x114.3. Is this irrelivant or what? Will they fit? And what do the numbers actually mean?

cheers

114, 114.3... doesn't matter. The actual size is 4.5" (114.3mm) but some places just leave the 0.3mm off.
As for what it means, the PCD is the Pitch Circle Diameter. Look at the wheel nuts and imagine a circle that passes through the centre of each one, the diameter of that circle is what we're talking about.

looks great Rick, but whats the ride like with that set up? I've noticed it's pretty poor as standard...

If I was to get some 16's or 17's, are there higher profile tyres I could fit? Im really not a fan of the low profile look, and time spent in civics with 15's tell me how great a ride/grip compromise small wheels and big tyres can give.

Rde was perfect on that set up, it was firmer than standard but not harsh.

Ideally on a 17" wheel you'd go for a 40 profile, could probably stretch to a 45 but any bigger a profile and that would start messing with the speedo reading.

If you were going for 16's, it would be around a 50/55 profile (i think - others will be able to confirm this).

Personally with the N16, you need 17/18's to fill the arches properly.

P.S, those alloys on the N16 are for sale ;) :D

Rick said:
If you were going for 16's, it would be around a 50/55 profile (i think - others will be able to confirm this)

Yep that's true - mine's are 16" with a 205/55/R16 BFGoodrich's on 'em and as you can see there's still plenty room left (i'm in 2 minds whether i should sell them or not - one's for cost reasons and secondly not sure what to replace them with)

Good ride comfort (especially over speed bumps and/or rough road surfaces) but tyre roar is mental and i'm of the opinion that lower profile tyres will give me better grip on wet/slippery road conditions

FrontRH-1.jpg

thanks for the pics there paul - you dont have any side profile shots of the car from a reasonable distance away? Im thinking with simpler wheels in black 16's would look pretty good - big tyres are the next big thing! But there's no doubt the 18's rick posted look great... bollocks, nothing ever simple!

FYI- tyre roar if anything will increase with lower profile tyres. Dry weather grip will increase on flat tarmac, but on shit roads (like ones in the UK) I reckon you'd miss the compliance of the bigger tyre. In the wet, doubt you'd notice a difference in ultimate grip either way, but your current set-up is probably as good as you'll get in terms of predictability

Nice wheels TallPaul. I have got 205/50r16.
Can I ask you how is your steering? I find mine quite heavy.

If I remember the offset of my wheels are some 42-45.

SMSAlmer said:
Nice wheels TallPaul. I have got 205/50r16.
Can I ask you how is your steering? I find mine quite heavy.

Hey there

Could you post pics of your car side on? Wouldn't mind going down a size in tyres...

And i find my steering now a bit more "weighted" than when i had my steel wheels on which made for REALLY light (and sometimes frightening) steering, especially on motorways

TallPaul86 said:
And i find my steering now a bit more "weighted" than when i had my steel wheels on which made for REALLY light (and sometimes frightening) steering, especially on motorways

Here here mate. I bloody shit myself 50% of the time on the motorway.

That was the main reason I fitted 17s - in high winds I'd be all over the place on the motorway and the car would follow any little bumps or slopes in the road.
The 17s seem to make the handling much nicer.

Back
Top Bottom