Where and How to fit a sub and amp in my boot?

C

craigyd

I have an N15 1.4i Almera.

Just bought an SPLX 12" Sub and 500w Amp package with the wiring kit. Now i know somebody who is an electrition and will be able to help me wire it up but i just have a few questions on fitting them in the boot.

1. Running the wires. Where will be the best to run the wires or the amp and sub from the front and head unit of my car to the boot? Any recommendations or any 'non-recommendations' lol.

2. The sub. It is mounted in an MDF enclosure and has like a slanted back so when pushed up against the backseats its quite flush with them although the the connectors come out from the back of the box. Just wondering where will be the best place to position it since i have a spare tyre right in the middle of the boot and how will i be able to fix it down. I was thinking maybe "L-Brackets" or something. I'm quite blank on this so need some idea and help/comments asap.

3. The Amp. Where will be the best place in my boot to fit the amp? It is a SPLX 500w amp if that helps with any size to it? (I can post measurements if needed). Where can i position it in the boot so that it is secure and preferably not on the boot floor.. maybe the side or something? I don't mind it being on the boot floor at all but if i can get it on the side i would be a little happier.

Any help/recommendations/comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks

so what size is the box is there not room to fit it to the back of the seats?

also you can run the wires down the interior body work underneath the plastic sill proector things there is a big enough gap but run your power and remote down one side and the phono cables down the other (saves any interferance) once past door openings the cables are easily tucked away behind the plastic panels!

hope this helps a bit

ive done mine a bit diferent
563570_8_full.jpg

N15 1.4 Si

Just fitted the second amplifier in the boot, a dedicated amp for the sub.

As i have amplified the front speakers as well as the rears and the sub, there are a number of speaker wires runnign back up the car from the boot and so i found that if i run the RCA lead and the two front speaker wires along underneath the carpet and the centre console, down the middle of the car (where there are no power cables), it removed all interference.

The power cables are run down the passenger side from the battery, using battery cable to the boot and then connecting to a distribution block in the boot. Similar for switch but with narrower gauge wire.

To try to answer your questions, you might have noticed that there isn't really anything in the backs of the rear seats to screw and amp to and so you're limited unless you make a panel. There is a chance of mounting the amp to the box but this can distort the sound in theory, although it is unlikely to be noticeable with a sub.

Also, make sure there would be some good air flow as the amp doesn't have a fan.

The sides of the car are hard to mount an amp to. What about under the parcel shelf? That's been done before.

The speaker box can be secured with some bits of wood screwed to the side of the box not visible, i.e. the side next to the wheel arch and that mating to the boot and then screwed to the floor.

Will be posting photos of the amplifier rack later, when i've finished off the sub box for it.

Attachments

• shelf.jpg
    shelf.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 86
when you routed the phono cables under the carpet did u take out any seats? just wondering because ive been putting off fitting a 3rd phono cable because there just isnt room under the sill guard.

ive got my amps screwed to the back seats that works a treat becuase they are hidden away and if i want to tune them its just a matter of pullign the back seats forward.

i place my phonos down the middle of the car and yes ... i took seats out to make sure that it was a top notch job. no power wires anywhere near so zippo chance of interference

i've got my amp under my drivers seat with the power running to it through the middle of the car under the centre console & the RCA down the side under the door cill trim. then just feed the speaker cables to the rear for the sub via under the carpet & behind the seats :D

Back
Top Bottom