Which headlamp bulb?

Hi
I've tried to work this out from existing threads, but don't have a clue about what p1 or p2 means - so please keep it simple.

In April I picked up an 04 (April) N16 1.8SE Auto, I'd read all about headlamp problems before getting car, but the lamps were absolutely spot on and nice and bright.

Then a few weeks back I got recall letter from Nissan - car was going in for service anyway - came back with replaced headlamp units, headlamps pointing about 3 feet in front of car on position 1 and about as bright as a glow-worm. Had a look and they've used 55W Osram H7 in both main and dip units.

Now, I do about 30,000 a year and don't see daylight driving from October to February, so I need good lights. Mixed M-Way and back roads so need to be civilised but efficient. Phillips seem to be well thought of, but any suggestions very welcome please. :)

in light

bin

In all the test results I've seen Halfords +50% bulbs rate really high with Phillips next in line.

I can't remember the fancy name for the Halfords bulbs but they should have +50% on the box.

I've used Halfords and Phillips +30% bulbs in the past and both are good - to be honest there's not much in it between them, though Philips ice-blue bulbs are seem a little bluer than Halfords laser-blue.

All that said it's possible they just arsed-up your headlight alignment when fitting the replacements.

its probably the halfords super brilliance ones you have seen in the reviews, there are a few other uprated ones aswell but im not sure if there road legal or not.

mine used to have osram bulbs in it but i too thought they were crap, replaced them with the halfords super brilliance and i was impressed, seem much clearer and there definately alot brighter, the old ones were like a candle in a massive room, they did light up the area in front of you but it wasnt really enough for it to be useful.

best ones ive used are Halfords Rally bulbs, 100/80watt, uprate the fuse to 20 amp and it was all good, did that on the sunny, as the cut lense on the glass really made the light output suck! (not road legal, but there not as bright/blinded as HIDs so i dont see a problem with using them)

Phillips GT150's (now re branded as Power2Night) bulbs are amazing. Look to pay around 30 quid a pair. Clear crisp light and superb on full beam.

Thanks one and all for the replies - in the end I've gone for Silverstars - based on the various tests they look to be a good compromise. No doubt I'll regret it at some point :)

in light

bin

Back
Top Bottom