Why the server was down last week

Hally

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Chris,

The iFuse Hosting team and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise unreservedly and explain to you, as a client affected by recent network issues, exactly what happened over the downtime period and exactly what we have done to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

As you are aware, this week, we incurred downtime on numerous servers, affecting a large amount of our network. As a result, your web site(s) and or services were unavailable for a prolonged period of time. This failure of our network was caused by:

1. A Distributed Denial of Service on a switch connected to the iFuse Hosting network;
2. The failure of some ancillary equipment;
3. This was further complicated by server OS upgrades that have been implemented immediately prior to the DDOS attack;
4. Reported lack of communication with clients toward the end of the issue.

What iFuse Hosting have done to immediately resolve these issues for now and the future:

1. We have had an audit of the iFuse Hosting network servers and equipment;
2. We have replaced any faulty or suspect equipment;
3. We have implemented further fail safe measures on the iFuse Hosting network;
4. We have increased the redundancy on the iFuse Hosting network;
5. We have updated our communication methodology.

New Communication channels implemented:-

1. The web site www.ifusestatus.com is online and sited on a server independent of our core network and available so that at all times you may see our network status.
2. we have set up a Twitter account (www.twitter.com/ifusehosting) that we invite you to follow.
3. Dedicated status e-mail address for emergency issues Ifusestatus@ifusestatus.com.

Furthermore, we have made ourselves proud historically by creating a brand which has had – and will continue to have – reliability at its core. Rest assured that, in our five years of business, this past incident and few weeks have been our worst. Nevertheless, we understand that this makes no difference to you as a valued customer.

We, as a team, view downtime reconciliations to be somewhat of a foolish error. To us, throwing compensation in the form of money does not make much sense; people wouldn’t pay for hosting if they thought that they were going to incur large amounts of downtime. That’s why we’re not trying to make this better by saying that we’ll provide compensation (although we will in fact provide compensation to those clients affected), but we would like to reassure you that you will receive 99.9% iFuse Hosting network uptime.

Once again, we’d like to apologise. That’s why, over the next few days, Liam and I will be calling all clients affected by downtime to ensure that they can be assured that this won’t happen again. And I’d like to invite any questions in the interim period between now and then to be directed to us – by either emailing Liam on liam.rhodes@ifusetechnologies.ltd.uk, or myself on dan.munn@ifusetechnologies.ltd.uk.

May I thank you for being a loyal customer – and Liam or myself will be in touch very shortly.

Kind Regards,

Dan Munn
Technical Director
iFuse Technologies Limited t/a iFuse Group

Back
Top Bottom