Wiper system ball joint

While I'm driving in heavy rain on the highway, the wipers suddenly stops working. It was a exciting drive to the next exit.
I have now found out that the ball joint at the first wiper arm was jumped off. I can press it back into place, but I'm unsure whether it will remain or jump off again. What would a proper repair be in this case ?

Ball joint0001.jpg

The drawing shows a symbol that I do not understand. What does it mean?

Been there, done that. Fitting the worn joint back on is only a temporary fix.

Get new wiper linkage pushrods from Nissan/ebay. The symbol means that the mentioned joint needs lubricant/grease. Clean everything up really well before fitting the new rods on, the reason they wear (faster) is dirt and dust particles getting in the joint and eventually it will be grinded to a point where it starts popping off.

OK thanks, I will replace the rod but how do I unmount ball joint at the motor side without removing motor, and how do I reassembly ball joints. Is it possible to press it on, without using tools ?

IIRC they are just press fits, I don't remember needing any special tools. Maybe a screwdriver to pry the rod off the motor side? You'll see how it goes on there when you get the new linkage rod. Should be a quick and pretty easy job, best of luck with it :)

Edit: might have been a cotter pin at the motor side.

Thank you for your help. The rod was easy to remove and reassembly. It's just a click off, grease the steel ball and then click the new rod on again.

Back
Top Bottom