Wtf is this screw/nut? ...guess i f**ked up..whoops...

Hey guys.

I know this is not a forum for engine stuff, but i don't have a member account :( so it won't let me post there.
Sorry about this. I really am stuck here.

So i was changing the spark plugs in my Almera (n16, 1.5, saloon, facelift) and for some reason (call it a moment of madness) i decided to make sure this nut was tight.

Big mistake.

Basically it just got loose, and won't tighten at all anymore. When the engine is on, oil is pushed out, and smokes me out if i drive for more than 5 minutes (plus the smell!)

I've tried coating the threads on the screw with engine sealant (same stuff used for a timing chain swap) and leaving it to sit over night, seemed to work for a little while , but oil started spurting out again.

I asked a mechanic mate (over facebook chat). He reckoned it's only a nut for holding on the rocker cover, but i think it's got something more to do than that. Screw doesn't appear to be damaged in any way, just won't tighten.

Any ideas what i can try? Didn't think anything of it at the time, figured it was a nut, it either tightens or loosens. Haynes manual doesn't say anything about it.

Boy am i regretting my curiosity now!

Any help would be appreciated. If anyone can recommend a fix, I'll spend the money I save bringing her to the garage on a membership :) (so i can post in the right forums!)

a1l4ra.jpg
25q9erk.jpg

You'll need to helicoil or timesert it.

Rocker cover off jobby. The reason it's stripped it that it looks to be a stainless steel bolt in an aluminium head.

Well lads, brought her into the garage, and got it fixed. €50. Had to take of the rocker cover and rethread it, so very decent price i must say.

Went and bought membership anyways, as the answers were so helpful.

Thanks a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom