Yellow Side strip

Hi all. Im after some advice on a side strip. Basickly the car has had these yellow side strips on it ever since i bought it a few mounths back. Im thinking of removing them as ive been told by other's that it looks a bit dull and in places it is peeling away(the top layer that is). So what im asking is there any advice you can give me as the best way for removing them without taking the paint with it. Here's a pic of what it looks like.
almera side no plate.JPG

Sorry the picture isnt that great but my camera has packed up and this is the only good view ive got. Cheers all :)

a mate of mine has just removed some of those horrible tribal design stickers from his car ,he used a hair dryer to heat them up and then just peeled them of, im sure other's will give diff options :)

had them on mine when i bought it, used a hot air gun on low heat and my finger nails to remove it, with it being 10 years old though it just flaked off in tiny bits. seem to remember it taking 8 hours to do both sides and just about every finger was bleeding afterwards, didnt want to risk using anything else on it but an old credit card probably would have been fine.

had no paint problems on mine but the paint looked fine to start with, if it looked a bit dodgy around the area then i probably wouldnt risk it.

Yup, hairdryer to heat up the glue and make it soft, peel them off slowly, then use tar remover to clean off the goo left behind.

Heat will remove the glue from the body work and therefore the sticker too. Too much and the glue leaves the sticker and stays on the paint. Be careful!

Any further probems with glue can be cured with a mix of halfords own rubbing compund (in a spray can) and lighter fluid. mix in a pot and rub off/on. Takes it off lovely.

Just bear in mind that you need to reprotect any paint left exposed by sticker removal/rubbed over so wash and wax your car after, I'd reccomend the mer stuff but it's all down to personal choice.

Ok excelent thank's for all advice that is very helpful. As you say it looks old so i recon top layer will be easy. Ive got a hot air gun so i will use that.

Cheers all again :thumb:

The paint underneath the stripes will most likely be a slightly different shade so polish it through using cutting paste and dont forget to wax afterwards to protect (Y)

Back
Top Bottom