17s

Hi, I'm kinda new to the forums, just got a quick question:
Am thinking of buying some Dare ST 17s for my car, going to get it lowered once I save up for coilovers :) What will the ride be like on 45 tyres if i get em? Rest of my car is just stock atm.

Yep, as Kingy says. Stay away from '40' profile tyres unless you're a regular track day'er. 45 or even 50 profiles will give you that extra cushion to make up for the bigger (and probably heavier) wheels.

Thanks guys, I've been still looking round and thought maybe 16s are the way to go, with a 55 tyre. I've got stock 15 steelies on at the moment, which are gash. Will the 16 alloys be lighter, whilst still offering enough width in the 55 tyre for some comfort? Now thinking of some Inovit STs

If you put 50's on 16" wheels then the overall wheel size is only fractionally different to the original size of 15" steelies. Im in the process of fitting 16's with 205 50 16s. Obviously 16s will be lighter than 17s because you have an inch less metal which is being replaced by rubber. Hope that helps

Depends on the wheel if it's lighter or not. See if you can find a weight sheet for them. My 17 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 with 205/40/17 tyres weighed almost exactly the same as my 15" steelies with tyres. Now on 205/45/17 because 40 profile was bone-jarring solid on coilovers and 205/45/17 is closer to the same size as the originals (so speedo is only out by 0.5% rather than 3% or something, can't remember exact figures) and fills the archers better.

I wouldn't recommend 17's big and heavy. With coil overs there will be no compromise and might be abit skittish on bumpy roads esp with 17/low profiles

If you got a big break setup 17's might be justifiable..

Or if you like halfords styling goo for it

I agree with you Stu - although I'm changing back to lightweight 16"s (instead of my average weight 17"s), it is possible to have a bigger wheel/tyre combination and still be less or equal weight to the originals. On standard suspension I'd be quite happy to keep the 17"s on, but I'm going a tad lower than the springs I have at the moment. So lightweight 16"s with 205/50/16 tyres should be just right for the stiffer/lower ride, having less unsprung weight all round.

It's a trade-off, ride quality and acceleration (16") vs handling and braking* (17"). Cost comes into it too sometimes. Looks are down to personal preference.

The improvements to handling and braking of 17s will be negligible in normal (depending on your definition of 'normal') street use but you'll notice a rougher ride on 17s, particularly with coilovers.
TBH although mine feels much more skittish on bumps it's not, I think you get more pronounced feedback from the hard suspension and low-profile tyres.

* not too sure on this, obviously big brake kits that need 17s to fit inside are better but I'm also thinking bigger wheels = more air to cool any brakes.

Thanks guys, think ima gonna go with the 16s, as I intend on upping to coilovers at some point, adn as yet have no plans for a big brake kit. Might go for uprated pads though :). As it is, much thanks for a very helpful response to my first ever post *joy*

I had 205/40/17 and it was a harsh ride and they buckled 4 of my inovite alloys (crap metal) I now have 215/40/17 and I find it to be a harsh ride but that is because of the coilover set up. I would recommend 40 profile tires but not anything less than 215/40/17. when it comes to the 40 it nothing if you have wider tires.

205/45/17 = 92mm side wall thickness
215/40/17 = 86mm side wall thickness
205/40/17 = 82mm side wall thickness
215/45/17 = 96mm side wall thickness

I did have one 215/45/17 on the passenger side once for a temp tire (1 day) and I noticed it rubbed on the inner mud guard (due to steering) it also rubbed on the wing but that is due to the fact that the car is way too low.

as you said your going for 16's its a good choice. you can get R33 GTST 4 pots behind 16" wheels :-) (not sure who but some one with a P11 Primera had these brakes behind 16" wheels and only had to use a 2mm spacer)

(P11 uses the same/very similar brake setup as the N16 Almera ABS model)

Hope this helps

Darren :-)

Back
Top Bottom