bit of advice needed

hiya peeps newbie here , just aquired my mates s reg gti ( ph1 i think ? ) for peanuts , it used to be his pride and joy a while back and WAS immaculate , but ..... about 3 years ago it got took off the road and stood where it was till i came along and ofered to take it off his hands yday .
its the first time ive seen it in years and tbh its gone down hill , what i want to ask is ...is it worth restoring or is it worth a few quid in spares ???? heres basic run down of its condition >>
was MOTd in an attempt to use it again but never did heres what went on >>>
new susp all round / lowering springs
new discs and pads all round
cat back stainless ( £500 at the time )
brand new clutch
2 new front tyres

it has just done over 100k , started first time yday

interior was mint but now a little mouldy

now the bodywork ....( black well used to be lol )
front bumper is damaged a lot from drivin by on his m/bike and pulling it off from the wing ( repairable i think )
nearside wing creased
offside wing has rust coming from a scratch
doors have a couple of dints etc
rear arches have signs of rust on its way
overall its very faded but a good t-cut will cheer me up i think

whats ur thought guys ? i would love to keep this cos it was treasured when running and was rapid ...

open to suggestions / offers / or may be interested in panals etc ???

cheers

you could make some decent money from breaking it, but if you don't mind the few cosmetic things and are willing to work on sorting them, i'd say definitely keep it.

100k isn't bad for a well looked after sr20 engine.

And if it has a long MOT the rust can't have really started yet so you can nip that in the bud before it gets nasty and structural.

Sounds like it just needs a bit of tlc to restore it to a cracking, cheap car - what with New sus and discs etc.

could be awesome mate. get some pics up ;)

It might be worth saving i'd clean it up and send it for a pre mot and get someone to give it a once over. If it's rotten though then i'd break it.

it was motd 3 years ago just b4 it came off the road , it already had lowering springs but his shocks where buggered so he replaced the lot , im a bit concerned about the brakes tho , obviosly very rusty but the calipers could all be seized ?? not picked it up yet but hes moved it around his land a few times since its been stood so fingers crossed , ive got access to sprayin equiptment and im sure i can clean it up , what sort of prices should i expect to pay for replacing body work ??

oh sorry, i didn't read it properly. i thoughtyou meant it'd had MOT more recent than that.

in that case i wouldn't worry bout the body work. Like ou say it's if the brakes etc are working and if it's rusted to bits. Like rob said, a pre MOT might be the best thing.

Try and fre off and clean evrything up firs a bit though - if you have a private road ;) you can use quickly to get the brake and stuff moving again etc.

with tlc the body will be acceptable i reckon , its just gona be time consuming , as for pre mot i think it would bo fine so might be a good idea , im planning on driving it home so the brakes should free off and clean off hopefully ?
my other option was to use the parts for my primera sri p11 , the clutch is on its way , was tempted to swap engines but just seems like a lot of work and time i havent really got at the minute ???

only just found out that my primera sri has the same engine as the almera ? i always thought my sri was not 150bhp ? i had a primera egt ages ago but that had the red top , i assumed thats what was in the almera and mine was a lesser model? ive been in this almera at 140+mph , theres no way my primera is as quick as the almera gti , whats the difference ?

i don't think your sri is the same mate.

i think it'd fit etc, but i'm sure it's like 128bhp or something. I think the cams might be different - omeone will correct me though! :lol:

the GT after the egt was the same engine 143bhp etc.

Cams and ECU are different.

dont break it mate... its personally irritates me when people break cars that can be good because they need a little work or don't sell in 5 minutes. keep it on the road. if i recall there was only about 1000 of these in the uk to begin with, try keep em alive.

thats what i thought but in the sticky in newbie section it says the p11 sri + gt have the sr20de ? looking at them theyre exctly the same but as u said i assumed the head/cams where different ? id there any guides on here for engine removal ? just wondered if its a lot of work for little gain ???? but my clutch needs doin anyway so either way i got work to do lol is the clutch easy enough to replace on these ?
also just curious , is the front bumper same fitment as primera ? they look very simular ?

well swapping cams ain't a big deal mate, i'm not sure how much is involved with ecu swap etc. but swapping the engine wouldn't do anything if the ecu was different anyway surely?

i would have thought easiest thing was putting cams and ecu on your primera engine, BUT only if the mera is totally rotten or something - otherwise keep it and restore the GTi :D Definitely.

as far as i know, no one has treid swapping bumpers with a primera one, would be intresting to see if they did fit

if you keep the mera mate, will you be keeping the primera also?

if so i have a set of standard GTi cams you could put in for those extra horses! :D

pm me mate if/when you're interested

almeraje breaking it is my last option , i loved this car when my mate had it , mechanicaly i think its gona be sound , the interior will come clean its just the bodywork i wana look at , are front bumpers available often ? how much would i pay for doors / wings etc ??

either way im only keeping 1 of them , ideally the mera , ive not had the primera long , i wouldnt av brought it if i new the mera was comin along , but im sure it will sell . just been out and adjusted the clutch cable so thats fine now , time to start lookin for bits for the mera

Back
Top Bottom