Colour coding body trim

I've recently done a couple of rust repairs, so now I have some left over paint. I've wanted to colour code the black plastic bumper and door trim, but I'm not sure as to how to remove the trims for spraying (I believe it's some kind of glue, but if someone could clarify that for me, I'd appreciate it!), as well as if there are any issues to watch out for when doing it.

Has anyone on here ever done it to their car?

You can use a heat gun & it will eventually come loose, you may have to tug a little & pull it off hope that helps.

Edit: I messed up on alignment when refitting so just remember that else the new tape looses its stickiness. When you have to remove it again.

You can use a heat gun & it will eventually come loose, you may have to tug a little & pull it off hope that helps.

Edit: I messed up on alignment when refitting so just remember that else the new tape looses its stickiness. When you have to remove it again.

So when re-fitting, you used the same adhesive tape that they were already attached with? Also did you do any specific techniques when painting them like special primers and such? I only ask as I've seen guides to doing it elsewhere online and they were talking about using special paints.

I would be careful if using a heat gun as those trim bits are plastic and could warp.

Take the interior trim off, the door cards, and you'll see the rear of the strips in locating holes. Get something like a screwdriver and push hard on these and it should separate them from the door/panels.

For refitting you can use bathroom silicon sealant and alignment is easy as you just put it back into the locating holes.

For painting make sure you sand the plastic well with 800 grit then go finer to 1500. Clean it up with either prep wipes, or sugar soap, or ESP. Then use a plastic primer.

-phone-

This thread makes me sad. Ideal situation would be to order a set of primed ones from Nissan or pattern parts company, get them painted and fit. If you're deperate to keep you old black textured ones then you can remove them with a filler spreader or other plastic scraper. Be careful though as you can stretch the plastic and its difficult to get them straight again. Cut the old tape off with a razor (stanley) blade on the strips and use a rubber wheel on a drill to remove the tape from the car. If there are locating holes then you shouldn't get refit wrong really but if you're worried note down a measurement from the bottom of the door to the bottom of the trim. If you measure it at the back of the door shut then you only have to do one per side. Buy some 3M (or similar) foam tape for refitting as otherwise you're likely to get problems further down the line. Refit by running a line of masking tape from your measurement along the side of the car. get down so your eye is level with the line so you can see if it is straight. Then just rest the bottom of the trim on there and stick on. Be aware that metalics very rarely look the same colour when painting seperately. This effect is compounded by the fact you have textured trims.
Good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom