Cracked Windscreen issue

Hey all,

Car: Almera N16 S

I've recently had a stone chip on my windscreen that quickly developed into a large crack. I had national windscreen pop down to replace, but he couldn't get the wiper arms off the car and could not carry out the job. I tried myself to pull them out but they seem pretty much stuck; even had the local dealer try to take them out and they coudln't take them out either. It looks like they are pretty much seized onto the threads and without them off, the windscreen can't go on and obviously can't drive around with the crack getting worse! Any ideas?

Thanks,

Keep spraying the spindle with penetrating fluid (WD or GT85 ect) for a few days then try again.

You can buy wiper arm pullers that should get them off without damage, but if a screen fitter and a garage have failed then who knows whats going on.

flip the arm up and push/pull them towards/away from the car, tapping the spindle with a hammer

guys, thanks for the advise. So what you guys are saying is, take the bolt off, spray the spindle with GT85/WD40 and then push and pull with the wiper up?

Thanks

Undo the nut but leave it on by 3 or 4 turns as if you're pulling hard and it comes off, you'll hit yourself in the face! :)

All the above plus removing the nut and whacking the top of the bolt (sharply but not too hard) while wiggling the arm a bit can free it up.

Problem is usually that the arm is glued to spindle with rust and you with need to pull it straight up while arm geometry want to move the forces sideways whether it's up or down. The lubricants and tapping with a hammer help with the former, the tool deals with the latter.

Back
Top Bottom