Foot well lighting-how to

Thought id make a forum of how to do this for others as i had small bit of bother.
But anyway

you'll need some decent wire to put between the lights and the power source id recommend 10amp twin core cable, your lights wither they be LEDs or neons (i went for LEDs).

To make the lights come on and off with the interior light you'll need to remove the interior light housing, this is easy enough it just pops out really.

Here's a picture of my housing with the positives and negative traced.
footwell.jpg

(BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO SOLDER ACROSS OR MAKE A CONNECTION BETWEEN THE DIFFERENT TRACKS AS THIS WILL BLOW YOUR FUSE WHEN YOU INSTALL IT INTO THE CAR AGAIN)

It may look complicated but it isn't, When you disconnect the housing from the connector you will notice 3 pins depending on your model (prob the same in most id think). 2 of these pins are positive and 1 negative. The 2 pins closest together are negative (far right) and beside that your constant positive (+2). The other pin (+1) is connected to the module timer so when you open the door the power goes off but will come back after 30-+ secs after the door is shut, ignore this positive as this is not the one you want. Next rub a section of the constant positive (+2) near the rear of the housing with a scotch pad or something to get a clean surface to solder onto, then solder your positive twin core cable near to or the same as where i have. You will notice there is a lot of negative tracks, Dont worry just follow them and you will be fine. At the main light switch you will notice there is 3 coper terminals to the switch, 2 are negative and 1 is positive (+1). Follow the middle terminal back and you will notice its a dead end, This is the spot you will need to rub down and and solder your negative wire to.

(DON'T PUT THE HOUSING BACK IN THE ROOF FOR THIS PART, LEAVE IT HANGING BY THE CONNECTOR)

Now take the housing back to the car and either attach your lights or a spare light to the other end of your cable. make sure your switch is in the off position before you attach the connector back up. once connected put the switch to the middle position and your lights should light up. Close the door and wait for the interior light to go off and the foot well lights should go off too.

Once you know it works take it back out the car and put some insulating tape over the soldering you did to stop it shorting off the roof.

You can now install the interior light back into the roof. To hide the wires put them above the roof covering and down behind your A pillar and feed it either down the left or right side of your dash. Once the cable is through secure it with tie raps or tape. Now connect your lights up to the cable i put a deans connector between them so i can disconnect them if i need to at any point.

Here's what yours should look light depending on the colour you choose, I also put in a red LED interior light.
20121207_191228.jpg

Hope this helps some people out

Did you solder onto the interior light component? I would have gone for the wiring itself, and hunted it further back so I wouldn't have to route it through so high.

you have to solder onto the component otherwise if you solder into the wires the lights will stay on all the time. has to be the actual light switch middle negative you need.

Back
Top Bottom