G-tech pro testing.

It's a timing gadget....accelerometer based. Measures G-forces.

Too dark, how do we know it wasn't downhill :P

Btw, I have one of the originals.

511894_5_full.jpg

ace! I'm guessing they're not cheap? :P :(

Is there another way to measure acceleration other than using something like this?
I'd like a way to measure the 0-60 speed etc, but running low on cash atm :(

WildChild88 said:
ace! I'm guessing they're not cheap? :P :(

Is there another way to measure acceleration other than using something like this?
I paid £35 for one just like Markbuts has from eBay but they don't have them on there any more it seems! :(

sounds very nice, especially on the decel with the burbbling.

almost sounds like its on 3 cylinders on idle

WildChild88 said:

Heres an idea, perhaps a stop watch and a passenger could work for 0-60 timing? wouldnt be too accurate though..

Just reading some other stuff on a site and saw this...
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_0022/article.html

Also...

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_0703/article.html

At the bottom of that one..
We ran one dragstrip test of the AC-22 on a Suzuki Swift GTi - on that test it proved very accurate, with the AC-22 suggesting 16.98 seconds at 85.4 mph, and the official timeslip being 17.017 seconds at 81.75 mph. Incidentally, at the same time a G-Tech Pro read 16.75 at 85.65 mph.

^^lol, What a slogan. :lol:

How it Works
Inside the G-Tech Pro is an electronic G-sensor (accelerometer) which can detect how much acceleration the car is undergoing. To work out performance, the instrument splits up the acceleration run into many tiny time "slices". It looks at how hard the car is accelerating during each time slice, and therefore knows how far the car must have travelled during that time period. From the acceleration figures it also knows how fast the car must be going, and so the time taken to reach a certain speed (eg 100 km/h) or cover a certain distance (eg 400 metres) can be calculated.

That's not how I do it :lol2:

My stopwatch idea wasnt so bad then eh? chuffed..
Nice, useful peices of kit those g-tech meters. Will keep an eye out for one i think when ive got some spare cash.

Dale said:
My stopwatch idea wasnt so bad then eh? chuffed..
Nice, useful peices of kit those g-tech meters. Will keep an eye out for one i think when ive got some spare cash.
streetdyno is a fun tool, or if you want to pay for it, homedyno.

Heys

The stopwatch idea was my original plan, but my only other car-minded mate is currently in Australia... and theres no way my girlfriend would do it... anyone else would just think i'm stupid for bothering haha.

Think i might try that street dyno thing, not quite sure how it works though - maybe i'm being stupid :(

WildChild88 said:
Think i might try that street dyno thing, not quite sure how it works though - maybe i'm being stupid :(

Pretty simple. You build a little voltage divider to connect to earth plus the coil/dizzy (same wire as you would use for an aftermarket tacho) tweak it to 60mv (I'd have to check that as I'm going from memory). Then you do a 2nd gear run an a flat road and record the sound of the spark, from that connection, on a digital recorder or old camcorder (what I used).

Then transfer that recording to your PC as a wav file....it'll look like the spark output trace on an engine analyser. Then you put all the info into streetdyno about your car and the weather/location of the test. It analyses the sound file taking into account the parameters you entered and gives you a power and torque plot.

Homedyno makes it easier but costs money for the hardware and software.

Alright it isn't THAT simple :P

riiiight think i'm starting to understand

I'll need to find a 33k resistor, and i'll need to buy a potentiometer.... then one wire goes to the (green wire) on the dizzy? and the other just goes to gnd... yeah? and then into the voltage divider and out to an audio output.

60mv on the audio output i'm guessing?

Yea I believe it's a green wire on the dizzy. The original site is down, the voltage divider is shown at http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/streetdyno/street_dyno.htm and the program is hosted there too.

The voltage output is where you measure the 60mv. Lucky I posted that on g20.net as I just googled for streetdyno 60mv and only got one other English result.

I've just downloaded Powerdyn, I'll have to try one of my recordings with it. I did try Homedyno software but the coil output wouldn't work, I think you need an inductive pickup for a cleaner signal with that.

Back
Top Bottom