How do I remove radio aeriel from roof?

Hi everyone,

I am desperately trying to work out how I unscrew/take off the aerial from the car roof.

I want to put the car through the car wash to have the underbody washed, but I just cannot for the life of me work out how to unscrew the aerial - it just will not budge. I really don't want it pinging off in the car wash :D

I'm sure that I am just being thick and that there is a simple answer.

Any help and advice would be greatly received.

Many thanks in advance,

Face

Wow - now that is a fast reply :D

I've even just double-checked the manual and it says the same as you.

Just found some pliers - that should do it :)

Thanks again,

Face

EDIT: Nope - not shifting - even with the help of some pliers :( - I wonder if has been glued in by the previous owner.

either that or it has corroded itself on there, try and get some WD40 on there to loosen it up a touch x

it may have been glued, chavs like to nick them and whip each other in some sort of homo-erotic frenzy.

I had a Richbrook one on mine held in by a couple of small allen grub screws.

OK, an update.

After eating copious amounts os Spinach the aerial is now free. Different pliers and someone a lot stonger than me did it!!! :D

Looks like Pel17 was right as there was a bit of corrosion on the thread. Cleaned off the corrosion, added some lubey stuff and now it is all good :D To the car wash I go tomorrow.

I have another question for you guys, but I'll start a new thread about it as it is completely unrelated to this one.

Thanks again for all your help and advice, I appreciate it.

Face

I have the exact same problem with my Almera S.. I've followed everything in this thread, used WD40, pliers, hands and everything spinach with no luck! The aerial turns but it clicks like it's does when you screw a Coke bottle top on to tight! Any ideas?

The threaded insert that sits inside the base if the aerial itself is now spinning. Your aerial may have been glued or suffered from corrosion so the plastic/rubber part has given up before the metal insert. If you warm it up with a hot air gun (being extremely careful not to melt the base seal or burn the paint) and twist the aerial whilst pulling it should come off leaving the threaded insert on the car. You can then get a pair if pliers or mole-grips on the insert and free it up. It's up to you whether you glue it back together or just get a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom