I'm new here...

Hi all,

Just bought myself a 1999 N15 5-door GX model with <90000 miles. It's my first car, and I fancied an Almera as a bit of a project. I've a bit of time and money to spare so was wondering if anybody had some ideas as to what some easy beginner mods and titivation projects could be. The engine bay needs a bit of a polish, and there's some rust around the back rear arches, but it's a nice car considering it was less that £800.

My first question though is this - the steering wheel points slightly right when the car's going in a straight line. The tracking etc is fine, so any ideas what the problem is? Is it just the wheel is on cock-eyed?

Also, can a rear wing be added to the 5-door model?

Thanks all, Ted

Welcome along!

Rust is the biggest problem with these cars. Check the bottom of the car, particularly around the rear axle and rear wheelwells. Sills are very common to rot from the inside out, usually found out when rust shows up at the rear section of the sills. Take out the front wheel arch liners behind the front wheels, as dirt and sand will build up there. (seen when you look below the front door hinges, in the "pocket")

Also check that the drain holes in the doors (found at the bottom) are clear.

For some extra horsepower, you can advance the ignition timing to 15 degrees BTDC, assuming you have the GA14DE or the GA16DE. Members have access to the factory service manuals which offer you tons of info, including how to adjust the timing.

Pictures of the ride are always a welcome addition ;)

Remove the wheel, and put it back on straight. It was probably cocked up during an alignment.

Just because it drives in a straight line doesn't mean the alignment is OK, get it checked.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom