Install updated

Sorry for the size of the pics. Basically the idea is to take up as little space as possible, and leave quick access to the spare wheel.

Alpine CDE-9829RB CD/MP3/WMA head unit
Alpine SXS-1357 5" components in the front (plus an MDF spacer to fit them in) powered by the head unit.
Alpine SPS-690A 6x9" 3 ways, running off rear preouts & amp
Alpine SWR-1221D 12" sub running off sub outs and amp
Maystar QXT200 2x50W rms powering the 6x9s
Maystar QXA200 1x350W rms (bridged) powering the sub.

That little thing on the steering column is caled a WRC, Wired Remote Control. Comes with some QX series amps and when plugged in controls the bass boost of the amp instead of the dial on the amp itself. I'd forgotten about this and it was sitting inside dong nothing for ages, but a few days ago I wired it up and it's so damm usefull. since most of my music is ripped MP3s burned to a CD, the bass varies between artists/albums so instead of fiddling about with the HU screwing up all the speakers, I can just turn the sub up, or down. plus it covers up the hole left by the sony column control for the factory HU.

sub

Attachments

• P4130006.JPG
    P4130006.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 86
  • P4130007.JPG
    P4130007.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 68
  • P4130008.JPG
    P4130008.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 70
  • P4130010.JPG
    P4130010.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 67
  • P4130015.JPG
    P4130015.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 67
comein along nicely mate, like the amps, tucked to the side.

but if you want better sound quality box the 6x9s in as the sub air movement disrupts the 6x9s

no need really. they're not playing any of the bass, that's all in the sub :). the HU is set to -2 bass, with a wide frequency range centred at 80hz. the 6x9s are crossed-over through the amp to play only the high pass, and I turned the HP frequency up until they were only slightly moving with the drum kicks at 50% HU volume. Any disturbances the sub makes to them will barely be noticeable. There's not much point having bass come through them really because they're only 50W RMS, so there's not a lot of bass gonna come out of them.

I'm still not sure if there's any advantage to having the sub facing up like that, instead of having it facing out the back. I haven't noticed any difference in the sound from having it either way

good man, mistake most ppl make is whack the 6x9s and subs in but dont turn the bass off to the speakers.

i have my subs in a quad ported band pass box, makes it nice and boomy and sounds great inside the car but doesnt piss every1 else off and i prefer this enclosure as the bass isnt punishing and dont give u a headache.

you got any other plans?

im going for a full custom fibre glass install, doing it myself but cant mind enuf time to start it lol

not really. I've got another amp sitting in the house that I could run the fronts off, but they're fine as they are. I'm really happy with this system at the moment. really REALLY happy. I might soundproof the car a bit better one day. I don't want to spend too much money on it at the moment, because I'm jobless in 6th form and am trying to save for a week in Amsterdam surprise for my gf/s 18th in july. I don't want to make anything permanent either, because I'd like to get a GTi (or preferably do a GTi transplant), then put everything in that.

im hopeing for a GTI in a years time, because of insurance.

almeras are pretty good sound deadening wise as standard compared to a lot of cars, dont u agree

seem to be. though I'm only really comparing to a Mk2 VW Polo, 2 L reg Clios, Rover 100 and a VW T5 Transporter. I have noticed that from the outside you can't really hear a lot when the volume is fairly high inside, which is good but I'd like it to be quieter still. My system cost me a good few hundred quid at least. Why should everyone on the street get the pleasure of hearing it! ;)

They're fantastic amps mate! They really are brilliant! Just because they're unknown doesn't mean they're not up to scratch. I'm loving them!

24SEVEN said:
They're fantastic amps mate! They really are brilliant! Just because they're unknown doesn't mean they're not up to scratch. I'm loving them!

fair enought then I guess they are decent stuff unlike the cheap brands out there that do not last long. best of luck :)

yeah I was worried about that too. The smaller one tucked behind that one you can see shouldn't get too hot on its own, but the bigger one has gotetn warm once or twice, never hot. I'll keep an eye on them.

Thanks for your comments guys :).

Back
Top Bottom