Just got another GTi...

Right after the state of my first one, decided to get another. Been on pistonheads a while and Stu nearly got it. Its the high mileage silver one, currently on 152,200 miles and runs fine.

Its lowered...somehow but very bouncy ride but fun lol.

Other than that, seems standard except for filter, ad said aftermarket ECU but doesnt seem any different, if anything, the blue one seems a little quicker but suspension doesnt allow but build up in speed in this one with every bump, specially in Sheffield!

So here it is...rust patches around, needs a tidy up but interior is good so just work on outside. Not bad for £400 though...

Plans...? Put my P2 rear lights on and 3 slat grille, other than that nothing, just clean it up and get used to it then start looking at little stylish mods before possible engine swap in the future, nowhere near all out on this one. Maybe some restoration work next year on rust patches.

Anybody know anything about it, let me know! Also if someone can tell me the measurements from the bottom of the front and rear arch to the road to see how low it is, be appreciated.

DSC00597.jpg

DSC00609.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00605.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

DSC00602.jpg

Well I though it might have been but would that not be 'harsher'? I know Naylor did it once for JAE he said it was just harsh but this feels bouncy. Either way, ill find out when swapping the alloys over

Oh and the bonnet is raised towards the windscreen. I know a few people do this but just wondering why!?

Is there a reason or just looks? I can see the washes, just thinking to remove them as its not been put on straight.

Know this has been in the North East a while anyway

Yeah it was owned by Kelv a while back. People raise the back of the bonnet because they want to let hot air out of the engine, and they like the look of it not being shut properly :)

Looks a bit rough round the edges but with some TLC will be a nice car I bet..
Definitely check the suspension situation.. Also get the rear camber checked as in the Pistonheads pictures the axle actually looked bent!!
Joe

Certainly is rough around the edges but tidy up and then let the bodyshop do some restoration work next year maybe. It was either tax the blue one or get this so opted for the P2 kit ;)

Drives well on nice roads, handles good but will have a good look over it all when I get it jacked up for wheel changing, need to check brakes anyway.

Fucked shocks? Definately gonna check, good thing is right now I have all parts available to me to swap over so really wasnt too bothered about anything wrong as long as it drove well

Ok scraped the front already! :/ Wasnt even a high curb, just someones drive way from the road but had a little drop in it at join...thinking put std suspension on from other GTi...

Definately fucked shocks, think it was in a smash as well, you'll see the front splitter is a bit bent on the drivers side, and the indicator is different. I can ask Kelv what he thought of it or what he knows about it

My first one was nicely lowered on cut springs, which bounced alot too mainly at the front...its fucked the shocks up!

I know it was Cat C Repaired, did the usual check before and found that out.

The bonnet looks raised but it doesnt help that the wing is bent on the corner. Also dont think its been put back on straight after raising back of bonnet so when I get chance gonna whip it off and try redoing it. Going to put my fucked indicator unit in for now, least its GTi style.

Just been to bodyshop and they will sort it all out, says bumper and splitter no problem at all then its just the dreaded rust but gonna get it done properly this time! Half tempted to drop my old engine in it too, what would be involved? just simple block for block or slightly more complicated?

Got a few bits to move across also not had time to investigate shocks but will do. also now unsure about the alloys going on.

Engine swaps are piss easy. TBH though I'd just service the one you have first and see if it makes any difference.

Just managed to get a decent smoothish road and actually went well, maybe just noticing slight difference between SS zorst and filter although wouldnt imagine so.

Long weekend next weekend so maybe try it then

Back
Top Bottom