martins n15 gti

Never put any pics up of my car so here goes. Probably a good time to start now as im doing quite a lot of work to it at the minute!

A quick pic from back over the winter months
Image023.jpg

Not long after I bought it nearly 3 years ago
2007_04140002.jpg

First was the easy stuff I replaced the rear wiper with the punto one, then a few weeks ago ive changed the clutch cable, and clutch assy and fitted an xtd flywheel. Nice little mod that, you can really feel the difference.

DSCF0282.jpg

dont worry there were 2 trolley jacks that you cant see in the photo and 2 cut off tree stumps under the car!! was a bit overkill really!

Time for some grinding and welding! removed the trim in the boot the other day to find lots of rust on the passenger side wheel arch. Decided rather than just mask over it the best thing would be to fully cut it out and weld in a new section.
Image020.jpg

After most of the rust was removed the hole was getting quite big
Image023-1.jpg

Image025.jpg

Image021.jpg

we folded a new piece using a bit of an offcut lying about in the shop and fully welded it into place

Image026.jpg

Image027.jpg

Image028.jpg

welded a new mount on for the rear seatbelt as well

Image000.jpg

bit of sealant over the weld to avoid it leaking

image013a.jpg

Then primed ready for repainting

Image005.jpg

Job done. Checked around the suspension mounts as well but no rust whatsoever! phew!

Tell you one thing I was gutted when I first saw it but its come out pretty well! Just be really careful though cos your getting pretty close to the fuel filler pipes. Plenty of cold wet rags and a fire extinguisher on hand or take the fuel tank out completely. I was lucky because I had the use of a large workshop with a MIG set on hand!! and a mate of mine who is really good with it! but hates welding cars due to always welding to rust somewhere along the line.

yet more welding!! Not sure how well you can make it out on the photo but under the drivers side the stiffener which runs down the floor was also badly corroded and looked like people had still been jacking the car up on it causing it to buckle upwards by an inch or so.

Image002-1.jpg

up onto the ramp and had a look. Made a couple of angle sections at work to fit over the old one.

Image001-1.jpg

Image004.jpg

Time for the MIG welding set again!! Fully welded it in place. Made sure to lift the carpets and took the seat out.

Image015.jpg

Image007-1.jpg

Image008-1.jpg

Image009.jpg

Fully waxoiled it last weekend as well. Should be good for a while now!

yeah prob cost a bit taking it into a garage to have it done. Like I said I was just lucky knowing someone who had a ramp spare for a day. Doing it lying on my back on the roadside would of been no fun at all! The rust is something that really annoys me, such a good car that gets let down so many times by the same problem. Hopefully I should be ok for a while now though. Pays to keep on top of jobs like that in the long run, especially as I plan to keep the car for a long time.

Now with new lower front wishbones, new polybushed droplinks, polybushed anti roll bar and a set of brand new BC coilovers!!!

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

And a rear strut brace

pic6.jpg

pri racing mate. The bushes are by superpro and seem very good quality, check em out they are online. On their web site type in n15 and it lists all the ones they can supply

Back
Top Bottom