More accelaration

Hi guys, Im new to almeras only owning 1 for 8 months. Its a phase 1 GTI and only done 50000 miles from new although no paperwork to prove this but its been family owned for 13 years and very well looked after. It has a few mods which are a stainless manifold downpipe and cat back janspeed exhaust, 17 inch rims, sports lowering springs, uprated plugs and leads and an after market induction kit. Is there any way to get it to accelarate quicker as im pi55ed off with my mate in his type R civic getting the better of me at the lights ! Im on a budget but heard you can turbo them for under £1500 Is this true and what is needed ? Or is there other ways to improve throttle response ?
DSCN0001

Favorite on here is stripping the car..

1gnll4.jpg

Loosing the 17'' rims and going back to 15'' stock wheels or ideally forged lightweight 15'' rims would help alot

I know I could strip it out but trying to keep it together as it has sound system and baby seat for family days (bloody kids)
Some say the GTI is a quick car but my wifes 1.0 focus 3 cylinder turbo keeps up with it !

Updated cams.. jwt or tommi cams are good dropins

Or as said turbo...
Mine was done on a budget and is pushing around the 250bhp mark

Allot of it is just bolt on goodies its just the mapping you have to get right and is the most expensive part.

Updated cams.. jwt or tommi cams are good dropins

Or as said turbo...
Mine was done on a budget and is pushing around the 250bhp mark

Allot of it is just bolt on goodies its just the mapping you have to get right and is the most expensive part.

Please tell me more ! Can I use any turbo ? Will I need any other parts ie ECU etc ? Will any other components need uprating ? Im not wanting a race car just be nice to out do a type R or VXR when playing and have a reasonable car for the family

The ugly heavy 17s wont be helping. Increase the timing and clean the MAF. What plugs are you using?

NGKs are perfect. Yes a good set of standard rims or some lightweight 15s/16s would make a huge difference. Search for the MAF.

NGKs are perfect. Yes a good set of standard rims or some lightweight 15s/16s would make a huge difference. Search for the MAF.

I have the standard rims with brand new boots on was guna sell them ! I take it a MAF is to do with air mass meter ? Would a remap help me ive been quoted £160 for a remap does this sound right

How are they proposing to remap it?

I wouldnt have said it's needed for the mods you have, but im intrigued as to what they'd actually do for 160.

not really sure they say that it would gain bhp and be better on fuel ! To be honest any thing with injection and im lost Im getting tempted to carb it using old school Datsun carb and fabricate a manifold ! I know thats what the banger boys do on the primeras

Welcome to the AOC.

If all you are interested in is racing at the lights then (in no particular order)..

1) Lightened flywheel
2) Uprated cams
3) Start above 4500 revs and let the clutch up smoothly but as quickly as possible; GTI is dead below 4.5k
4) V-Power.
5) Advance timing to 17.5 degrees.
6) Don't race hot hatches that are 10 years younger.
7) Turbo but you'll have to know your shit to do it for less than 1500 squid.
8) Light wheels, OEM 15" with good 195/55/15 tyres will do.
9) Ditch anything the car does not need to make it move or stop.
10) Supercharger but you'll have to know your shit to do it for less then 15000 squid.
12) Decent engine-back custom exhaust,
12) Free-flowing air filer.
13) Uprated injectors, fuel pump and FPR.
14) Mapping.

Just the usual, basically.

Oh, yeah..

14) AOC membership; all this stuff has been covered in the member's-only threads a bazillion times.

Back
Top Bottom